Stupid question!! Horse walkers and the rain

amy_b

Visit site
Do you put rugs on your horses when you put them on it in the rain?!
I know it's a silly question but I have never used one in the rain before....!
:O
If it affects the answers it isn't covered and is post and rail on the outside, well maintained ie I wouldn't imagine a rug getting caught, but do they overheat?
Thanks in advance for humouring me!! :)

AbFab

Visit site
Do you put rugs on your horses when you put them on it in the rain?!
I know it's a silly question but I have never used one in the rain before....!
:O
If it affects the answers it isn't covered and is post and rail on the outside, well maintained ie I wouldn't imagine a rug getting caught, but do they overheat?
Thanks in advance for humouring me!! :)

I never put a rug on mine when she went in the walker, but then she's quite a warm pony anyway and a bit of rain wouldn't hurt her. I know you can get 'walker rugs' (I think Mark Todd does one) which is supposed to be designed especially for that purpose. I presume they rip easily too just in case they get caught? I haven't looked into them but could be worth a look!

Irishcobs

Visit site
We used to put rain sheets on for when it was raining but we had metal grid like fencing so the rugs couldn't get caught.
You can kind of see it in this vid (excuse the silly hunter!)

MandyMoo

Visit site
we don't put rugs on our on the walker in the rain, as we don't use exercise sheets in the rain (only use exercise sheets when it is VERY cold) - they keep warm whilst they're being worked, but ours are warm horses, they're not delicate flowers like a dainty TB would be or something!

humblepie

Visit site
Only tend to use walker in bad weather when fields out of action. They wear there turnout rugs if wet though have recently bought a horse walker rug for one as was getting shoulder rugs. Have used it for lunging too

amy_b

Visit site
Thanks! Mine is a TB. Probably just use common sense then and look out for a 2nd hand walker rug.

EventingMum

Visit site
I use the Mark Todd walker rugs with detachable necks and find them good and cheaper than alternatives. They're not too warm but do keep the chill off and the horses stay dry. Many of my liveries just use turn out rugs but some of them heat up too much in heavyweight ones so I would recommend using a lightweight with plenty of room to move around the shoulder area.