Stupid rugging question....

Mongoose11

Visit site
Olive had to have a full clip today as she is getting far too hot in work and was fairly damp on a hot day even when lounging around.

She is in during the day and out at night, and has been out naked.

Would you rug? *dons tin hat* a light weight sheet? Or would you use the opportunity to make her lose some weight?

Other horses that are unclipped are currently in lightweights, but they are fit eventing types and don't have the luxury of a few extra pounds :eek:

I am thinking no rug.... (Yes, I am an idiot)

micki

Visit site
If it was my horse i would see how the weather is going to be. If it is dry and warm then i would leave without a rug and if it is raining i would use a lightweight as you taken her natural protection away.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I'd be inclined to go the no rug route but I'd be keeping an eye on her to see how she's finding it.

Mongoose11

Visit site
Fdubs! I know, I know!

It is going to be 12 degrees with 'some' rain at intervals....

She has been very happy, naked, in the rain at all temps over the last month, but now she is VERY bald. Bald enough to see her pink naked mole rat skin under her coat.

Please google 'naked mole rat' if you are unsure. I don't want to be responsible for posting a picture of the hideous creature on here.

http://www.theanimalfiles.com/mammals/rodents/mole_rat_naked.html

Came back as I couldn't resist the link!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am not one for rugging even in the depths of winter but since you have removed her weather-proofing, I think you must rug her against the elements, otherwise you could be laying her open to various skin complaints, to say nothing of the potential for her to feel the cold more than would be wise, in the wet and windy weather we're expecting this weekend.

Mongoose11

Visit site
Also if you can see pink skin, she will burn when the sun comes back out :cool:

Yes, until she grows some cover back she would wear her cool coat until dusk anyway.

Personally I would never clip a summer coat.

Patters :rolleyes:! This debate is had every year... Worse to leave drenched in sweat after work? Or worse to clip off summer coat? I don't know, so it came off, came off last year to no ill effect...

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
No rug!! My similar looking cob is in during the day to avoid full sun and out at night: can you do that? Maybe a rain sheet if you do that.

I clip my lad whenever, summer, winter, whatever, it has never yet ruined his coat and better clipped than stood sweating in his box. :)

Out of interest, what clippers have you got and what blades did you use? Mine are Lister stars, I used medium blades to get him clipped for the pic in my sig, for example.

Last edited:

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Rug at least until her coat comes back a bit. Also as above will need a fly-sheet to protect her pink bits from sunburn and also fly-bites. Also may need suncream if riding her when sunny (unlikely in this weather I know!)

Mongoose11

Visit site
Patters - but in true Hho style - not in response to the question asked. Thank you for all pink skin advice, don't worry, am well armed with cool coat, sun spray, fly stuff etc! Am three years in to pink skin ownership so have that covered!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My friends id clipped year round. He wears a light sheet inside at night and a rain sheet if its heavy rain. He's dark coloured so no worry about sun burn.
Sounds like you have it covered anyway tbh, everyone likes confirmation ;)

Buds_mum

Visit site
From a fellow chubby owner; take the opportunity to let her shiver a bit :p

I want a pic of Ol the naked mole rat :mad::D

Mongoose11

Visit site
I knew you'd pop up ^^ :)

I caved. She is wearing Buddy's Amigo :) with muzzle, fly spray and sun cream! I'm an idiot. We are having rain tonight so I'll feel her in the morning and see how she is to assess further nakedness!

Mongoose11

Visit site
Those folk who ask for advice tsk tsk.

Ease her into nakedness. She wants to, really!

Completely agree! :p

No, you are right. I will ease her into her nakedness, she is really rather naked at the mo, so I will keep an eye on her coat and as she gets more coverage, or if there is no rain forecast she will, and should, be naked!

CobsGalore

Visit site
I've been contemplating clipping my boy, he gets drenched after a good schooling session, but I have just been bathing him afterwards then he has a good roll.

What's better, clipping or bathing regularly?

Buds_mum

Visit site
Aww. Buds out grown ruggy, I hope she doesn't know she's a boys hand me downs?! :O

I think its one of those occasions where with a light weight rug on overnight in the rain she is technically not over rugged at all, however on the other hand she wouldnt suffer too much naked.

But as fw puts in you are easing her into it, its a transgression stage :p

GinaGeo

Visit site
I'd use a UV protected fly rug for warm dry days so she doesn't burn. I think I'd probably get a waterproof liner to go inside it for wet days. She has lost her natural waterproofness (is that even a word!) - certainly until she's grown some coat back again anyway.

And I'm not a big fan of rugging ;)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
What's better, clipping or bathing regularly?

There is nothing wrong with letting a horse sweat, especially if it's only after work. After all that is what they have evolved to, they are much luckier than dogs who can only sweat through their paws. So long as you sponge down, or bath if the conditions are suitable and dry off, there is no problem or health hazard.

Mongoose11

Visit site
I'd use a UV protected fly rug for warm dry days so she doesn't burn. I think I'd probably get a waterproof liner to go inside it for wet days. She has lost her natural waterproofness (is that even a word!) - certainly until she's grown some coat back again anyway.

She is in during the day and will wear her cool coat when out at 5pm on a sunny eve...

CobsGalore

Visit site
There is nothing wrong with letting a horse sweat, especially if it's only after work. After all that is what they have evolved to, they are much luckier than dogs who can only sweat through their paws. So long as you sponge down, or bath if the conditions are suitable and dry off, there is no problem or health hazard.

I agree there's nothing wrong with letting them sweat, but my lad was literally dripping the other night when it was sunny :(

But then again, so was I! :rolleyes:

snooples

Visit site

Agree with this!

Even though im not a fan of clipping out horses in the summer, its normal to sweat. If I went for a run id sweat and especially so if it was really warm, I certainly wouldnt go shaving off my head of hair and then standing outside naked hoping that this would help me lose weight.

What I would do is slowly build up fitness and even when properly fit, I would understand that sweating is ok.

kerrieberry2

Visit site
no rug!

my mare had a full clip 2 weeks ago, she's unrugged even at 28! and is a tb x conny so sure your mare will be fine? im guessing its the cob in your pic?