Stupid Weather

LauraBR

Visit site
Weather here has been horrific.

Horses weren't allowed out today because of the amount it chucked it down last night (my boy's first day stuck in since I have had him, and as suspected he didn't handle it brilliantly- a few MAJOR cantering up the walls tantrums and lots of flinging his head up and down which other liveries complain about
blush.gif
) so had to ride him in almost gale force winds this evening...
crazy.gif
he was very good in the wind actually, stuck to the school as he is spooky out hacking when the weather is fine lol.

YO said we can turnout tomorrow if there is no rain overnight... just switched news on to see a severe weather warning for the NE tonight... I'm not happy!!!!!

Anyone else struggling?

x_Hannah_x

Visit site
horses are out everyday regardless- luckily YO wont let them stay in during the day unless medical reasons- I am very grateful. I really really like to avoid keeping them in where possible, although it makes grooming a nightmare
wink.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
Give me a muddy horse over a 'coiled spring stressed out stuck in' horse any day!!!

I don't begrudge the YO trying to protect the fields as they need to last us all winter- just hate the evil weather!!!!!!!!

maddielove

Visit site
it's blowing galeforce here!
on the bus i saw someone flying their kite[a bigg'un]...and they were lifted off the ground!!!! says it all!

maddie's out in her mediumweight as she was frozen in her lightweight and she a hairy un-clipped monster!!!

this is one thing i hate about this time of year!!!

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
Ours stayed in today... mine and their choice as it was sideways rain this morning - truly hideous! They really don't enjoy being out when the weather is so awful.

When my friend went up at 3pm yesterday all four were already stood at the gate desperate to come in... when she went up with a headcollar to start leading them in they en mass whipped past her and scurried down the path, across the yard and straight into their stables!

loopeepee

Visit site
My new one coming (god I LOVE saying that!) has been living out for a fair bit. He will have to get used to living in pretty sharpish. Allowed out for a few more days and then they will all be in 24/7 until march/april time.

RachelB

Visit site
My horse lived out before I got her, but lucky for me she is THE most laid back horse ever, and will happily snooze in her box on a rainy day! She's always happy whatever she does!
Our fields are still soaked from the other day's rain, but the horses have been allowed out for a few hours each day while it's ok weather. I've been watching a weather forecast site to see what temp it's going to be tonight, and the forecast for the north and Scotland looks horrific! I feel for the northerners, I really do!
crazy.gif

Hopefully it will turn properly cold and dry somewhen soon... (*keeps fingers crossed*!!)

pagancluf

Visit site
I am gonna have to start bringing mine in next week - boo hoo!! as too dark to walk upto top field w/o light and find them in their dark blue rugs (black horse included!) as Uni finishes at 5.30 and it will be dark - I HATE WINTER!!! mud fever, dark nights - only week end hacking, horses that are TOO fizzy, extra costs of haylage etc, the list goes on!?!?!?!

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Cant you ask yo if you could turn out in the school for an hour or so... then your horse could be just that, a horse!! At top yard to day half were in but i doubt for all day -yard was empty so i'll never know. Its what im dreading most about moving to a yard. I couldnt live without knowing he hadn't had at least an hour to roll, kick his heels and feel fresh air!

moon_drop

Visit site
Its a right old storm up here, rain, gales about 40 miles a hour. we've lost power twice so you might loss me any time. It was lovey blue skyes this moning so the horses were out till 5 with med weight rugs on. thank god we got them in just in time before weather changed. there is trees down all over parts of the main road is closed (A96) as there is trees across parts of it. ooh and we've got flood warning on the spey ( local river) which means our fields will be flooded in the moning as we're on the flood planes
frown.gif

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
Ours are out 24/7 too, so they brave all sorts of weather.
Up to now, it's been really mild here, nice sunny autumn dry day today
smile.gif

Perfect for riding out if I wasn't working
frown.gif

Marquire

Visit site
Luckily my YO let us have the horses out 8-5 everyday regardless of the weather. Yesterday was horiffic here, gale force winds and driving rain but horses all looked happy enough in the fields, wrapped up in cosy rugs and neck covers.

I think they have only had to stay in once the whole time I've been there and then it was because we'd had about 3 foot of snow and it physically impossible to get to the fields until we got a digger to dig us out.

The joys of living so far north!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I can agree with you NE Scotland gals! Was horrid here last night wasnt it?! All my neds had their big cosy winter rugs on for last night. Our power was out by 7.15pm for hours. Had to drive round 3 fallen trees / massive branches on the road!

Was very shocked when driving as usual, past a field of 2 horses with a big shed thing they made as stables (very DIY!) - this morning it was flat! Obviously just been torn to shreds by the wind. I couldnt see the horses in the field..... but they may have been moved I dont know.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Nope our horses are out regardless.

Still can't get my head round this no turn out in winter / if it's raining etc. Bizarre.

moon_drop

Visit site
well we made it through the night. i read in the local paper this moning that the winds reached 60mph
crazy.gif
everything was ok when I went to the yard this moning there is trees down all over, one landed on the gate of our field right it fell across the road and landed on the gate lucky the gate was open so no damge done. our horses are in today as the field is flooded bits of it must be under a foot of water. They be in until the river spey goes down a bit, we're at the mouth of the river so it might take a few days, for the water to come off/down the hills. This is nothing new for as, we must go threw this a every few weeks in the winter ( flooding not the wind). it gets worse before it gets better up here. starts with weather like this then its snow and then weather like this again then it spring
smile.gif

I would love for our horses to get out when they wanted but on days like this it just not safe for them.