stupid woman

eahotson

Visit site
I know of. Buying a 4 year old newly broken, lively 15.2 mare. She has already bucked her off and given her concussion. She is middle aged, nervous and very novice. Don't think the people who are selling this horse to her should do it BUT some people are so stupid they do deserve at least some of what is coming to them.

jemima

Visit site
frown.gif

Tia

Visit site
If she has any sense whatsoever then she will surround herself with knowledgeable people.....if she has no sense then the horse will likely end up on top of the pile of "yet another reject" horse.

SillyMare

Visit site
Poor horse.

I don't think it is the responsibility of the sellers - they can only make a judgement based on what they saw (which may have been absolutely fine).

Also the horse may have been as safe as houses when it was in an experienced home so they may have thought fine to sell it to a novice (although it's age should have given them a clue).

Did the woman take advice from anyone when she bought it?

I think her friends / instructor probably have more to answer for than the seller.

Parkranger

Visit site
I'm not condoning this but it's very easy to overhorse yourself when you are new to the game.

Agree you should surround yourself with knowledgeable people but everyone underestimates what owning a horse is until they do it themselves.....I imagine it's a bit like having a baby.....

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
Agree with Sillymare, yes stupid woman and potentially poor horse, but not the sellers fault. I know of dealers who have stood in their yard and said no this horse is not for you and the buyer has insisted it is, what do you do, some people cannot be told.

Agent XXX999

Visit site
I think that it is the responsibility of the seller to ensure that the horse they are selling goes to a good match. You can’t always be 100% right but you can give it a go…you can tell what people are like the second they walk on to a yard and touch your horse. Manner on the ground is a good indication of manner when riding.

I do think that people get so blinded by the thought of a wad of cash that they forget to ensure the person is a good match for their ned. I have turned people away who wanted to buy horses I have owned as I have had bad vibes about them…a couple of people came to see my pony and I didn’t even let them ride! I really feel that if more people considered the new owner when selling a horse less rejects would occur.

I tend to ask more questions than potential buyers when selling…I think that although you are selling it, you still have an obligation to your horse to ensure that he will be happy and continue going ‘well’ in any new home. Its not the horses choice to be sold after all!

You can tell a novice when they walk on a yard (or at least I can) so why did the old owners sell a fresh youngster to an equally green rider? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. It’s the horse I feel sorry for the most, it is just not fair on the poor thing!

If more people considered the buyers I think less problems would be sold…

And as for the 'she had no choice as she inststed it was the right horse...' comment - the seller did have a choice! She could have refused to sell!

SillyMare

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You can tell a novice when they walk on a yard

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I could - could certainly spot an absolute beginner but not any novice.

You sound like a very good seller. I don't think it is right to expect every dealer out there to go to the lengths that you do (although obviously all should exercise reasonable caution).

Turning it around - I am probably a novice by some definitions, certainly do stupid things occasionally. I would be furious if someone told me what I was or wasn't capable of doing based on their impression 5 minutes after I walked onto the yard.

Buyers have to take some personal responsibility. The woman was an adult - if she is a genuine novice she should have had the common sense to consult a friend or an instructor.

It is very sad the poor horse will probably loose out in all of this.

bellgave

Visit site
Feufolet, I completely agree with you 100%

I have turned down so many people, I can normally judge people on the phone. I will not sell a horse to someone I am not happy with. I make judgements and like you can tell as soon as someone walks on my yard!!!

Agent XXX999

Visit site
I am not and experienced seller – I have only sold 4 horses and 2 of them were because a girl had given up and had no interest! I have clearly just got a good eye for a novice! You can tell – I think that it a confidence thing….the way they approach the horse, the questions they ask etc. Also the way they sit on a horse and ride it is the clearest indication of whether they know what they are doing or not!

And I feel sorry for the poor horse too!

Agent XXX999

Visit site
Incidentally that is not to say I would not sell a horse to a novice, I have, but it was the right horse and they clearly would get on…again the way they were on the floor, and the fact they asked their instructor about a million questions and listened to the responses, was a good indication that they were willing to learn and the horse would be well looked after.

Basically, I would never sell a horse to anyone I wouldn’t let ride it if it were still mine, and I would never let it go to the sort of home I would never keep it at!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I'm sure alot of people go down this route thinking that it's a cheaper way of buying a horse.

Most on this forum will know that unless you have alot of knowledge, patience & ability it is far from a cheap option. These people mean well but they'll end up with a horse with problems, possibly serious injury to themselves & will have lost alot of money on the re-sell they they will inevitably have to do.

Why don't they get a slightly older horse that alot of work has already been done with?

the watcher

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Poor mare

[/ QUOTE ]

Horse or new owner? It is a shame for the horse, not the best start...but I also feel for the woman, it isn't always easy to admit that you have made a horrible mistake...especially if those around you are not being very sympathetic.

The best thing anybody can do around her is offer to help if she ever needs it...and stand back. Eventually she will ask, or sell the horse

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I know of. Buying a 4 year old newly broken, lively 15.2 mare. She has already bucked her off and given her concussion. She is middle aged, nervous and very novice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can beat that - novice, no horse experience bought a 5 year broodmare in foal of the internet from Holland (we are talking 20s of thousands of dollars), got it shipped and everything. Was riding the horse (who is quite green) without a helmet, horse was found riderless, soon located the rider, called an ambulance had a hear injury and require brain surgery.

Now she has the foal, and wants to do more breeding :)