subtle lameness

Wheels

Visit site
Just watched it, great video - how many vets watch a horse being ridden as part of their diagnostics? I'm sure there are some but I personally have never been asked to ride my horse in front of a vet.

SEL

Visit site
Just watched it, great video - how many vets watch a horse being ridden as part of their diagnostics? I'm sure there are some but I personally have never been asked to ride my horse in front of a vet.

Me neither - even when I asked to and had loaded all my tack.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I've ridden a horse for the vet before, actually same horse for 2 practices (owner wanted 2nd opinion). The horse was bilaterally lame, I had a feeling I knew what was wrong (and I was right), but it was more how the horse *felt* rather than how it looked. They asked me to bring the tack and ride, which I did after lunging on soft and hard, and trotting up.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
It is well worth watching the whole series. Absolutely fascinating, I came away far more knowledgeable but aware that all of my horses are wrong in some way and wondering if there is such a thing as a sound horse.

milliepops

Visit site
I doubt there is, AA... there probably aren't that many 100% sound humans really so no reason to think horses would be that different I guess. I guess there is such a thing as a sound-enough horse? (I think Sue Dyson is quite black and white so possibly wouldn't agree with this grey area). One that is essentially not suffering and able to perform well even if it might be very subtlely crooked or uneven between each side of its body.

As well as the normal maintenance such as physio, foot care etc I think it really helps to know your horse really well, and recognise little changes. I certainly have a good degree of confidence in the comfort of a horse I've owned and ridden for years, much much less when its a horse I don't know well.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I doubt there is, AA... there probably aren't that many 100% sound humans really so no reason to think horses would be that different I guess. I guess there is such a thing as a sound-enough horse? (I think Sue Dyson is quite black and white so possibly wouldn't agree with this grey area). One that is essentially not suffering and able to perform well even if it might be very subtlely crooked or uneven between each side of its body.

As well as the normal maintenance such as physio, foot care etc I think it really helps to know your horse really well, and recognise little changes. I certainly have a good degree of confidence in the comfort of a horse I've owned and ridden for years, much much less when its a horse I don't know well.

You are right of course, I will accept that Adorable Alice can produce brilliance and be a miserable bint all on the same day !

milliepops

Visit site
;) I don't agree with mare-bashing, having 4 lovely girls in my care... but she's a mare so it's her prerogative :D

They are decent videos though, and I definitely think that it's good to be as educated as you can be about this stuff.

Batgirl

Visit site
This is the vet hat I went to with my Giant Ginger (in my signature). Referred down to her by my awesome vet. Referral asked my to ensure I took his tack and if possible I was to ride.
She did all the usual trotting up etc and then asked me to ride. She is FANTASTIC. MY horse is an absolute trooper - he had 4 different things going on, masking each other. HE is now retired - a few weeks before his retirement he was doing Medium Dressage. It was so subtle and she is amazing.