Successful ODE - targets met, smiles and injuries

JustKickOn

Visit site
Well it seems progress is finally being made.

Yesterday LBM and I competed at Offchurch. I attempted an ODE there two years ago, and got eliminated at the 3rd fence SJ, so that was lingering in the back of my mind as soon as we got there.

I walked off to get my hats tagged and pay my start fee etc, looking back at the lorry as it rocked side to side. LBM was keen... I don't think her magic syringe had quite taken effect at this point.

Head groom had her off and was struggling to get a bridle on the cross bred giraffe, and we had 40 minutes till dressage. The flies were out in their masses, so half a bottle of fly spray and finally tacked up, we went off for our warm up, still getting bitten like mad. I got a horse fly up the sleeve of my shirt somehow and my shoulder is covered in about 4 bites as it took me so long to get the blighter out!

Dressage warm up, we didn't stop trotting for half hour pretty much, as it kept the flies at bay, the moment we stopped they just descended! They were running 15 minutes late, and I was really concerned that I didn't want to over cook the warm up, but thankfully the timing was just about perfect in the end.
Video - http://youtu.be/6zzvbrDQwlA

The dressage went well I though- Prelim 7 again. I went wrong as in my head the arena was the other way around and I lost my bearings. Re started the movement and the judge gave us a 4, plus the deduction of two marks which I thought was rather harsh, but hey ho. The flies were driving ky nuts, but she behaved so well, and I was really pleased with her. 8 for my riding which I was chuffed with, and 7s for the other collectives.

Dressage video - http://youtu.be/-9mEG_sG2GM

Back to the lorry for a wash off. It was 28 degrees and we were both covered in sweat and were sticky. Ky had a nice drink and a peppermint wash, I had a peanut butter blondie, liquids and then a sudden feeling of immense sickness and the shakes as my nerves for SJ started to get the better of me.

Tack change, fresh saddle cloth, body protector on and off we went. The warm up was dusty and on entrance I inhaled a mouthful of clay dust, got a load in my eyes and my nostrils felt so incredibly dry and bunged up. Still feeling sick, I walked and trotted round, had control. Canter, canter, canter, aaaand teeeerot. Trrrrot. Trot. Nope, still not trotting. Woaaaaah. Bit of an argument in the middle of everyone, sliding halt, and then back into trot. She came back to me straight away after our little disagreement so no love lost! Popped a couple of jumps and the sick feeling went. Kept her walking and popped one more before going in.

The ground looked a little slippy judging by other rounds I had watched, so my aim was for nice sweeping turns and to keep balanced, leg on and have no option other than over the jump.

Video - http://youtu.be/sLOX8mUUsZQ

Super mare! So chuffed with her. We were well in the time, when she backed off a few I kept my leg there and said "GO" and she went, and when I said wait, she did so. Smart cookie.

Back to the lorry fora quick breather, readjust boots and for me to change to XC gear. Back off to the XC warm up, forgetting my medical arm band so did my trot/canter/trot control warm up across the now emptying lorry park! Popped a palisade, pipe and log twice each and waited as my 30 second count down began. Stood still till 10, started walking towards the start box, 5 4 3 2 1 "have a safe ride" and we were off, popped into a forward canter, ears pricked and we were away. She didn't have a single hesitation at any of the jumps, and her ears stayed forward the whole way round, except for the actual jumps, she has to streamline you know! "Good girl" could probably be heard by everyone. Popped everything no problem, as we came round to fence 7, three strides out the fence judge jumped in front of us and screeched at us to stop, so I had to hang right round the tree and pull up. Horse and rider fall before us at the bottom of the hill. 50 seconds on hold, and off we set at a good pace, grinning at the event tog at the side! We had a refusal at the water as I though she would go and she didn't, so must keep leg on at water in the future. And we breezed home, really kicking on after the last fence for a really good gallop through the finish! I so enjoy the XC bit!!! Finished with 20 jumping penal 19.2 time faults.

XC videos - http://youtu.be/0NHmjsrDSOs
http://youtu.be/nuvErNB_xx0

We had a 32.5 dressage including the 4 and error, just need to work on the transitions a little, keeping her up and me not anchoring her too much, and remembering where to go! Show jumping my stirrups were shortened since last time and I felt much more secure, reins still need to be shorter, and I need to keep her together a bit more towards the end of the course, as she got a little flat, especially into the last one. I felt I was sat up a bit better, and recovered quicker after the fences? XC needs to be a bit more forward with my seat and push on a bit more, but my aim for the day was steady and getting over everything, so target achieved, we can work on meeting the OT in the future.

We were 9th after dressage, 7th after show jumping but finished 13th out of 25, rosettes going up to 10th.

I was so pleased though, as she did everything I asked of her. She is such a willing little horse, we just need to iron out the crinkles and we should be away!!

Bit gutted this morning to turn up at the yard and find her right fore swollen though. :(
Red hot along the back, a bump along the bone and the soft bits inside and out puffed up and lame in trot. She isn't reacting when it is pinched so really hoping it isn't tendon or ligament! So I've spent today cold hosing, medical ice packing, ice gelling and bandaging, in that loop every few hours. The swelling has gone down 90%, and the heat has pretty much dispersed. This is in between unblocking the drain and tidying the whole tack room. Why do horsey people hoard so many rugs!? She's had three danilon today. Will have one tomorrow morning (insert sleepless worry filled night) after assessing her leg, and then will see how she is tomorrow night and if it's still not right give the vet a call Tuesday/Wednesday morning. She's out as she frets in the stable and doesn't tend to hoon around, so is better off out and chilled than in and stressing all day.

Not long been home and had dinner after having three chocolate digestives, coffee and tea all day. Stuffed my face full of a heavily iced cinnamon Danish pastry AND a Gü-Yorku cheesecake and a just about to run a nice hot bath full of muscle soak!

Once more, onwards and upwards, after a hopefully uncomplicated and speedy recovery.

618ec5535b32c1377c27f8e6f7e2e782_zpsb241dddd.jpg

90b67cc4e598d576bcd7f5cf55e666e2_zps7019205c.jpg

Floating and grinning like a loon
e377a419d780a8ebe2f64bf058276064_zps13451b73.jpg

210e9a30251c605b6f552851b9e3089e_zps43ab96ed.jpg

d65437dea498fbe445e95a91bb3d8f69_zpscff8cced.jpg

Over and out
JKO and LBM x

CrazyMare

Visit site
Well done, I saw you after the xc and nearly complimented you on your colours then bottled out. Didn't twig you were the same person that spoke to me after the sj!!!!

JustKickOn

Visit site
Well done, I saw you after the xc and nearly complimented you on your colours then bottled out. Didn't twig you were the same person that spoke to me after the sj!!!!

Thank you. If you're at the October event do come and say hello! :)

Well Done! I was on the Start Box and remember these colours well!! I'm pretty sure you flew through the finish still grinning!

Thanks. Were you counting down or the lady sat in the trailer? I really kicked on after the last as knew the time would be a problem, and then had issues stopping! The XC bit is fab :D
Thank you for giving up your day to help make the even such a success.

Looks like great fun - super horse :D

Thank you, she is fab when she is playing on your team. She has her stubborn moments and if she starts to say no and you don't nip it in the bud she really will not change her mind! But she is a gem once she gets in a flow. Good girlie :)