Such a lovely day.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
It's been 3 years since we moved to Wales and half the reason we moved was for having our own land and the gorgeous riding here. But disaster struck within the first year and we sadly lost our wonderful arab x welsh mare, she was 25, broken fetlock in the field. I was left with my elderly arab gelding, my Standardbred mare who knocked my confidence badly, and the Exmoor gelding who says being ridden is the work of the devil and it's never going to happen, and believe me we've tried every method under the sun. Last year I lost my arab gelding under truly awful circumstances and I went into a sort of deep equine related depression, I'd owned him for many years, it seemed my riding days were over. The Standardbred and the Exmoor malingered in the field, absolutely fine but doing nothing.

But a month ago I was idly trawling through a local rescue centre website and there was this mare needing a home. 14.2, not a youngster but low mileage, Welsh D x. Y'know how you just have to keep clicking back, yep she's still there and available, oh sod it, have a glass of wine, be brave, fill in the form and apply, probably won't get her but still. Riders...I did! The form, the reply, the home check, going to see her, riding her. I was approved and she's here.

She's been here a week. I'd put off riding her out as the weather has been so awful but today seemed to be the day, calm, still and almost sunny. And we had the most amazing hack, she's wonderful, like a little dragon, trit trotting and snorting her way along the lane, so keen but so light and responsive to ride. We were on our own which I thought was the best way to start, we need to get to know each other but I've never felt so happy and confident (confident...big thing for me!) , she just made me laugh. It was a beautiful afternoon, the sun came out properly and lit the autumn colours on the trees and hills, she's probably the most fun and uncomplicated.....and full of character....little horse I've ever ridden. It's been a long time coming!!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Lovely post.

It should give hope to every-one who is having a difficult time - there is always the possibility of light at the end of the tunnel. And yes, we need pics!

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Thank you so much everyone for your lovely replies. I honestly thought my horse days were over, I was on the verge of finding homes for the Exmoor and standardbred girl, I never imagined I'd find such a wonderful little dragon to give me all my confidence and a horsey future back.

In the field with the other two she's established herself as top girl from the start. For a few years the exmoor boy has set himself up as top of the herd, driving the others away from their hay and feed. I put several piles of hay out for them a couple of days ago, he casually wandered over to dragon girl and tried to help himself to her hay. Hiiiii-YAAAAAA!!! Dragon girl turned into a ninja, whirling around all hooves flying, she didn't actually touch him but the intent was there, he was so shocked that he sat down on his fat bottom in the mud. Standardbred, who's been bullied by him for years,, was in total awe and has been so ever since, following dragon lady around with a look of hero worship in her eyes and, interestingly, mirroring all her actions. Exmoor has gone into a deep sulk , standing on his own in the thistles with a face like Eeyore and a thought bubble that says 'nobody loves me'. He'll get over it, he did need putting in his place. I do love watching herd dynamics, so interesting.

Equi

Visit site
haha! Go dragon! Herd dynamics are ever so interesting. Its funny what they pick up too...my mare is acting like a stallion because she sees her brother get away with it!