Such lucky timing.

seabiscuit

Visit site
Cripes, just had the most horrendus near miss on the road with Owen.
My paddock gate borders onto the main road through our village, there is a gate then there is a narrow downhill sloping bank bit about 4 metres onto the road, with trees both side so you can't really see the cars coming, nor can the cars see you coming.So you have to listen and wait for the road to be clear
Was on board, slowly edging forward when something spooked him, he lept and plunged and jumped right onto the road, into the path of an oncoming car. Threw me right over his head.We both missed car by such a split second. There were two more cars behind the first car, thankfully they were not nose to nose the second car was about 8 metres behind. And thank god the second car was not going too fast and stopped in time. Lovely lady jumped out and caught owen. So glad he didnt gallop off. First car just buggered off.

Am fine but shaken, think it was a miracle. So so relieved that Owen is ok...he is normally such a dope on a rope, but he is just too well and full of himself these days, he was fooling around for ages before I got on trying to chase the dog.He has never ever been this hyper and full of it before, will have to take him off his food to be safe now.Am trying not to think of what could have been, but truth is it really scares me how accident prone I am becoming!
frown.gif
Anyone got a cure for it?

tw1nn1ejo

Visit site
wow, that was very close!! glad your both ok now though! talking about the first car buggering off, when i was riding this morning the pony i ride is quite spooky with cars that go fast and motor bikes and here comes along a man in a BMW going quite fast and even when i put my hand up to ask him to slow down he just ignored me! i hate those sort of people!
mad.gif
mad.gif
sorry rant over! and sorry i don't know of any cures.
xxx

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
thank god you both are ok, that is scary. anyway of trimming the hedges so the visibility is better? Or lead the horse out and down the road to a safer place then mount? not sure how feasible that is for you.
you had a lucky escape but thankfully you are both ok. sounds like you need a stiff drink now
laugh.gif

regards
Dawn

seabiscuit

Visit site
I know people are such effing idiots on the roads and I am so fed up of it. Dont they realise that cars are the no.1 killing machine and that they will be in effect murdering someone if they hit somebody by driving too fast?!!

Thinking about it today, it wasnt me being accident prone, it was my own stupid fault as shouldnt have got on him if he was so hyper but as he is a different horse in personality now after his operation he is an unknown quantity or whatever the expression is

Safina

Visit site
Jaysus - no advice I am afraid, just very very pleased you are both physically ok.

Is there anyone who could "see you out" the next few times you hack out just so you can rebuild your confidence and trust?

seabiscuit

Visit site
Would like to get on in a quieter place but the whole village is so busy with cars thats its not an option...wish I could cut the trees down but there are silly planning laws guarding it.

Thank you will have to have a stiff drink!
smile.gif

tw1nn1ejo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I know people are such effing idiots on the roads and I am so fed up of it. Dont they realise that cars are the no.1 killing machine and that they will be in effect murdering someone if they hit somebody by driving too fast?!!

[/ QUOTE ]

i know they always seem to think that ther'll be nothing there in there way and it will all be fine and then when they do see someone on a horse they don't bother to think that the horse might be spooked or young etc and think that it will be fine to carry on driving flat out! they really do need to be taught a lesson!

seabiscuit

Visit site
LOL Thank you..trying to get someone down to help is like trying to get water out of a stone! But perhaps todays incident will make them sit up and listen.

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
Is the road a through road or a road predominatley used by the villagers. I ask this because you could put an article or notice up advising the villagers of the dangers of horses vs cars.
A while ago I wrote an article and put it in the local paper expressing the dangers and natural horse behaviour in regards to people letting dogs chase horse riders on the green and in the woods, it seemed to have worked as the incidence of dog related near misses and accidents seems to have gone down.
Just a thought,
enjoy your drink
regards
Dawn

lordflynn

Visit site
cripes!
havent done it before but maybe ask the council for a caution-horses sign somewhere along the road? or ask if you can put one up at least then drivers have a warning even though its not perfect, it is something.
would a mirror help or do you just have to go for it when you think its clear? I realise that spooking one of those things though.

hayliana

Visit site
that's not accident prone unfortunately, that's the risks we take everyday with horses. i sometimes wonder if i thought about those times too much id totally lose my nerve, let alone having a close shave like that!

siennamiller

Visit site
try not to think about what might have happened as you will only frighten yourself. Everytime an image pops into your head just think of something positive!
bloomin horses!!!!
at least you are both ok

Lord_Horatio_Nelson

Visit site
Phew! I bet you thought when you sat down to write this original thread? Not sure what to suggest regarding Owen and spooking you into the road. Has he ever done that before? I see you say he is normally docile (or dope on a rope, as you say) so would guess not. Is there room in the paddock to settle him down a bit or canter before he goes out on to the road? A sign warning of horses ahead would be the best option on a blind bend but local councils can be obstructive as it "out of keeping with the environment" and takes ages anyway and putting one up yourself may not go down well with the neighbours.

The mirror idea is a good one as long as Owen doesn't spook at that. As a driver I know of a dangerous crossroads near here that could do with one of them to stop you having to edge forward into potential danger (but that's by the by). Am just glad for your sake SB that there was no lasting damage...a nice hot bath might help with that liquid recovery!!

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
There are so many ignorant drivers,and ofcourse many good ones.
Well i am glad you are both ok,it must have been very frightening for you both,try not to dwell on what could have happened,i am useless at taking this advice too,i often think 'what if',but fight it if you can,you are both ok,good luck with the confidence

seabiscuit

Visit site
Thank you everyone!!,Have forgotten about it now and Owen is as happy as larry. Will definately have to try and get some more signs put up throughout the village as there are a lot of horseriders around but unfortunately we have the agricultural college here so lots of dimwit students and staff, even the equine staff speeding through the village.Mirrors would be a great idea too!

Hayliana- you are so right its not me being accident prone (this time!) it is part of the risks that we take everyday with horses.....

GB Uk- thank you, yes this is not normal behaviour for the horse! I will have to look into some of the ideas youv'e put there....!

Peanot

Visit site
gosh, glad you`re ok. It sounds very dangerous there. Perhaps you ought to have one of those double mirrors fixed over the road so as you can see both ways if anything is coming. BE CAREFUL...