Sudden anxiety and field pacing

kirstie

Visit site
My horse spent the winter on box rest, has been diagnosed, treated and given the thumbs up for turnout and to come back into work. She first went out in a small paddock next to another horse for a few days to get her used to going back out but she was a bit anxious in the paddock by herself so I decided to put her back out in the main mares field. They had just moved to the summer field, it's a lovely big field with good grass and she has always loved it in there. Got her acclimatised to the grass over a few days and she then went on to full day turn out from 8am-6pm. I was having to trudge up the field to bring her in, no problems whatsoever for 2.5 weeks.

On Saturday I received a phone call from a friend at the yard that she was very stressed in the field and pacing up and down the hedge line closest to the yard up and down to the gate. I rushed to the yard as this was very out of character for her. She was a hot, stressed foamy mess, so I brought her in.

2 main differences that I could think of. One of her closest buddies had gone to a show for the day so wasn't in the field. A new young horse had gone out, though they seemed perfectly happy with each other when they were introduced.

After the show her friends owner decided to change her horse to night turnout. Thinking my horse was possibly missing her, I too swapped her over. She went out Sunday night no problem and I arrived Monday morning to find her curled up in the field snoozing with 3 friends, very happy and relaxed. Great, I thought.

Monday night she went out and I tootled off to dinner with family. 8.30pm phone call from friend at the yard, horse is pacing again and in a state. I rushed up there in the piddling rain and tried to settle her in the field. All other mares settled. No joy, wouldn't settle so I brought her in. Took t/o boots off and she had a nasty cut on inside of fetlock through boot. Looks like she has struck herself rather than a kick. Young mare had also changed to nights but no issue between them noticed.

Have had to keep her in until yesterday due to the cut. Put her out last night. She galloped up the field to the other mares. Said a quick hello, head down to graze for a min or 2 then she was straight back down to the gate and started pacing again, walk, trot and canter. Left her for a bit, wouldn't settle. I ended up bringing her in as she was in such a state. I think if I left her all night she'd carry on all night. As soon as she is out of the field she calms right down. Am very worried about leaving her too it. Have had a horrible 7 months of worry with her- I really want to avoid an injury if possible.

I free schooled her this morning in an arena to de ping and stretch legs so I can ride later. Mildly noticed she was favouring the side of the school closest to the yard but didn't think too much of it. Finished and went to catch her- she then started pacing in the arena as she does in the field. Walk, trotting and cantering along the side closest to the yard. Took 15 mins to catch her. Not like her at all.

I have had her for 7 years and has never been like this. She normally loves the field and is the dominant mare in the herd. Summers she is always out at night and usually thrives.

Sorry for such a long post but I'm struggling to work out what is wrong and am baffled. Any experiences welcome...

Brightbay

Visit site
Horses, just like humans, can become a bit institutionalised and agoraphobic after long periods of box rest. It helps if you can reintroduce turnout gradually, building up duration. It sounds as though it's all been a bit much for her all in one go.

whiteflower

Visit site
i have one which has been on box rest for 8 months and is now on week 4 of pen turnout. you could be describing my horse ! shes normally dominant in the field and happy to be turned out alone, come in/out as i please but currently she starts pacing and getting stressed after a few hours.

i put it down to her being institutionalised from being in for so long. i have found turning her out for a few hours in the morning, catching her and putting her in the stable for a few hours and then turning her out for a few hours again in the afternoon is working well. i will gradually increase each period of time she is out until i dont need to catch her in at lunch time any more. im not overly concerned, shes just more comfortable in her stable currently as thats where she has been for so long ! ive no doubt in a month or so she will not be bothered about coming in at all. dont panic, try to just manage things so she doesnt get too stressed and give it some time.

kirstie

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, does make me feel better. Maybe she just needs a longer intro to being back in the field. She was fine for over 2 weeks which I find a bit strange though. After all that box rest I just want her to enjoy being a horse again... Will start tomo with grazing in hand in the field and try and go from there.

debsflo

Visit site
Horses, just like humans, can become a bit institutionalised and agoraphobic after long periods of box rest. It helps if you can reintroduce turnout gradually, building up duration. It sounds as though it's all been a bit much for her all in one go.
I would agree,it can effect them emotionally,mine shut down and became depressed. Try building turnout gradually.