Sudden loss of core strength in rider?

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
I seem to have really lost some core strength. I used to feel my seat bones and that 'pull' down my stomach every time I rode (and my results were a lot better!!)

Lately, I honestly have no idea why but, overnight, I seem to have just completely 'lost' my core?!

When I sit in a saddle now I can't feel my seat bones and then when I do, I find it really hard to 'feel' my core if that makes sense?!

I have been suffering lower back pain too so I know that it's all related. I honestly have no idea what's caused this. I can plank etc for quite a long time and my personal trainer at the gym said I have a lot better core strength than most girls he sees (though that could not be saying much!) but I struggle to apply it at the moment when riding.

I'm not riding in a dressage saddle at the moment, so that could be making a difference as the last one I rode in did tend to 'hold' you in place a bit and I could get the 'push' a bit more through having the knee blocks etc. I've also gone from schooling 2-3 horses a day to just 1.

I don't know, it's really getting me down.

I was schooling a baby horse for someone for a while and in wondering whether I compromised my position a bit and now my muscle memory has changed?

Has anyone else had this? Do you actively engage your core every stride you ride?

FfionWinnie

Visit site
The slightest angle change in saddle position make a difference. If you are riding in a different saddle that's likely to be why you feel different.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
The slightest angle change in saddle position make a difference. If you are riding in a different saddle that's likely to be why you feel different.

I agree with this I mainly ride in a dressage saddle but I have a gp I use on one horse if they are both ridden together and I so notice the difference I feel almost perched on it.

I.M.N.

Visit site
I agree it's likely to be the saddle. A few years ago I had to be on "box rest" for 3 months and my consultant told me you lose 50% of your muscle mass in 3 weeks if you don't use it at all. So I suspect riding less horses may have had a slight effect as well.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
If your having lower back pain there is a good chance its related to that. I have been feeling lopsided again so went to a sports injury clinic today. I knew I was stiff in some areas but the amount of tension he found down that side was a surprise. It would explain why my riding hasn't felt right.

Fun Times

Visit site
If your having lower back pain there is a good chance its related to that. I have been feeling lopsided again so went to a sports injury clinic today. I knew I was stiff in some areas but the amount of tension he found down that side was a surprise. It would explain why my riding hasn't felt right.

This in buckets. I have suffered from back probs all my life nearly and as a result my core strength is significantly compromised which, in turn, worsens my back problem. Its a vicious circle. Chiropractic treatment and one on one personal training sessions have helped tremendously.