Sudden recall failure - what now?

minesadouble

Visit site
Our male Vizsla (1 year old next week) has always had decent recall. Perfect unless in the middle of a play session with another dog when it might take more than one attempt.
He has had 2 and a half weeks rest due to a flare up of panosteitis. Took him out for the first time last Sunday and he got his eye on a Labrador in the distance and just legged it. Totally ignored the whistle - he usually flies to me when he hears it. I hoped it was a one off but 2 days later he did the same to my daughter.
I have put him on a long line and we are doing more training, both retrieve and general sit and wait stuff. Is there anything else I can do and why has this happened??
Is it partially due to his enforced rest, teenage rebellion or something else??
He has always been so good I honestly feel totally gutted and just don't trust him anymore off lead. I know I'm probably overreacting but its so disappointing when everything was going so well :(

Boxers

Visit site
I think you are already doing the right things. Going back over the basics and using a longline.

He's hit his teens and he's testing you I think.

I have had a boxer, a rottie and a GSD and they all completely forgot their training when they reached somewhere around 11-14mths old. It will come back, but meantime, but keep reiterating it all.

Good luck!

Toffee44

Visit site
The ages between 12-16months were just horrendous with my rottie x.

Felt like a lot of my hard work had gone. It came back.

One thing that worked well was I stopped feeding him so to speak. His only food came from my pocket/ bag. So on a walk I would take chicken wings and kibble, he recalled he got food. But he is driven by his stomach.

LovesCobs

mancunian in Cheshire, actually now in Wales!
Visit site
You're doing the right thing, don't be down hearted. I lost my 2 year old working cocker to an RTA in your circumstance. She'd been on crate rest and lead walking. She was let out for a wee and ran off, her brilliant recall went out of the window :(
The crate rest as well as age will have done with your lad.