Sudden Seperation Anxiety update

galaxy

Visit site
Thanks for all the help I got last week when I paniced over H suddenly having SA

We didn't leave him for a few days to see if whatever had upset him would settle. Also, because he had lost his voice, I didn't want him to strain it anymore by
howling/barking/screaming!

I spoke to my agility trainer (who like most also does normal behavioural/training) and she suggested that maybe someone tried to break in when he was left? Then when I spoke to my mum she suggested the window cleaner, and I think she's right. He did come at the beginning of last week when I was out as he stuck his card through the door. Will call him to chat to him about it. Maybe he could let me know the night before when he's coming.

His voice is now 80% back. Yesterday I left him for the 1st time. I had planned to only do it for 10 mins or so as long as he was calmish (as in not go back in when/if he was beside himself). I went out the house and drove the car round the corner (incase he can hear it go). I then crept back and went round the side of the house (had already left side gate open). Peered sneakily and he was sat on the sofa (told you he loved it! ;) ) Couple of minutes later I still hadn't heard anything, so looked again and he saw me!!! oops!! So I went back in.

Today I decided to just sit on the front door step. Did the leaving ritual again and moved my car and sat on my doorstep and read a book. I didn't hear and thing except the odd very soft cry and that was only when I had opened the letter box to hear better. There is an internal door so he woudn't have known. There was no way he could distrub my next door neighbour with that amount of noise, I was straining to hear him. After 20 mins or so I went back in. I had videoed him. He had got straight up on the sofa and laid down. He did the odd soft Howl, but it was much calmer and not so desperate as last week and no barking, pacing, stood howling on back of sofa like there was last week and there were long moments of him just sat that. I think he'd have gone to sleep pretty soon.

So going to repeat it tomorrow. He didn't eat his Kong though which surprised me? He used to go mad for them when I did them before....

Last edited:

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
That's so weird about the Kong, my young one will eat his chicken but will only eat the Kong once he is in the house with me, I have seen him leave them all day before!