Suddenly objecting to being groomed?

Allie5

Visit site
Well when I say sudden its maybe over the last two weeks got progressively worse. Tommy is the sweetest, most even tempered horse (not even just youngster!) I've ever met. He very rarely objects to anything I ask of him so I've learned to listen when he says no. For example my OH used to make this weird lip smacking noise over the stable door at him (trying to attract the nice horsey!) and its the only time he's ever put his ears back and snapped so OH has been warned not to do it again unless he wants his face bitten! Over the last two weeks Tommy has become more and more uncomfortable being groomed over his loins and last two possibly three ribs. Its affecting him on both sides and worst on the right. I don't use a dandy brush on him in the summer as he has a fine coat and very sensitive skin so only a soft body brush. This morning he went as far as to swish his tail and stamp his back feet which is a huge reaction for him. I initially thought he'd maybe fallen in the field,being three and out with his two year old brother in a mixed herd there's a fair amount of arsing about going on! But if it was an injury would it not be getting better instead of worse? He's a little grumpy being touched but not as bad as grooming. His pelvis is perfectly level and he's still unbroken (although wears a well fitting synthetic dressage saddle on top of a poly pad for in hand hacking) and does a bit of long reining/lungeing twice a week. If he's not any better on Monday I'll get the vet anyway but Im just wondering if anyone had any ideas?

blood_magik

Visit site
mine was grumpy when being groomed a while back.
I had the vet out, who took bloods. the conclusion she came to was that he was getting over a virus.
he was back to his usual placid self not long after.

blood_magik

Visit site
well that was the main thing I found with J. whenever we touched him around his tummy he would threaten to kick out but he was fine everywhere else :confused:

maybe give your vet a call?

ladyt25

Visit site
Maybe get him checked. A woman I used to work with bought a pony for her daughter (I picked it up for them) a few years back. Last year this lovely pony started this sort of behaviour and it got progressively worse to the point she actually got aggressive and also became unrideable. Vets tested for hormonal problems etc and for any injuries. Vet actually said she should have it PTS - she was horrified and changed vets! After speaking to others and eventually another vet the pony was actually diagnosed with some sort of mineral deficiency (I have a feeling it was something to do with magnesium levels). Anyway, they started on a supplement and within a few days of being on this the normal, pleasant pony returned and they started riding her again. They have actually just sold her this year as daughter has outgrown her and she has gone to a family who are fully aware she needs to be kept on this supplement.

Seems so odd that something that actually is pretty simple can cause such sever reactions. They were told that basically it made her skin so sensitive and painful all over and that is why she reacted how she did.

May be wirth looking in to as could be some type of deficiency.

Allie5

Visit site
Well that's the plan, whatever is going on its been too long now so I will call the vet on Monday. I wonder if he maybe pulled something while he was coughing and snottery?

Darcydoo

Visit site
Sounds just like my girl had vet check her today as i was getting very paranoid turns out she's just very particular about being groomed moody witch.

Allie5

Visit site
Darcydoo I had one of those moody witches so I feel your pain!! I think Im more concerned about this simply because it is so out of character for him. He really is the sweetest boy and its very odd for him to be narky at all.

Allie5

Visit site
Hmmm I wouldn't immediately think ulcers. He's unbroken, lives out and any time he is in he has adlib hay. Truly adlib, i never leave him without hay and he only gets TopSpec, no other hard feed