Suddenly scared of poles again

Maesto's Girl

Visit site
Hi all

So Lacey used to be scared of poles and jumping, but we have worked hard and now we have been going over ground poles and jumps no problem....until 3 days ago! She refuses point blank to just walk straight over them! Backing up....going to the side....Just avoiding them however possible. Once she has got over her fear she goes over lovely! Doesn't knock them, legs lifted lovely, swinging well and working really nicely over her back with absolutely no sign of pain....It's like a different horse. She doesn't fear anything then. They can change, be risen....and straight over! It's just the first bit! Could it just be a change in the weather/spring grass and the fact I have a temperamental mare? Has anyone experienced this before?

whiteflower

Visit site
Yes but it has on both occasions been with horses with pain somewhere. Some days they would jump other days not walk over a pole on the ground. One had kissing spines the other hock spavin. Hope you find some answers

hobo

Visit site
I am so glad to hear it is not just my mare I do not jump but like to do poles and she used to event with someone else but you would think that she has never seen a pole on the ground . She is well in herself and though older I have no reason to think it is pain related and like your mare once she has decided they will not eat her does them really nicely!
Funny enough her daughter who did have spurs on her spine loved poles.

Maesto's Girl

Visit site
See if she wasn’t loving them after she decides they are not scary I’d be on the pain answer but it’s just like she remembers she loves them and then all is ok again. Hoping it’s a phase but if it carries on the vet will be out!

whiteflower

Visit site
See if she wasn’t loving them after she decides they are not scary I’d be on the pain answer but it’s just like she remembers she loves them and then all is ok again. Hoping it’s a phase but if it carries on the vet will be out!

Yes it's hard to tell sometimes, I can only comment on my experience but I'm sure there are lots of different reasons it could happen.

With the ones I knew they would refuse then eventually go after the rider kept asking and then would seem to be loving it but infact were just rushing over the poles to get to the other side.

It's hard to know without knowing history of the horse and seeing it. Do you have an instructor and what do they think ? That's normally a good place to start as they can see what the issue is

Maesto's Girl

Visit site
Thank you

Yes I do - I actually have 3 for different work. She doesn't rush over them - she's naturally fast paced - and isn't going over them any quicker than usual....if that makes sense? She is actually calmer over them than she used to be.

I have a lesson Friday so will ask if we can get poles out again to see if we can get to the bottom of it! Sometimes I wish she could talk! Would make life so much easier