Sudocream?

gillcook

Visit site
Sudocream won't be anygood for preventing sunburn as has no spf might be ok for treating sunburnt areas as long as horses are not going back out into sun. I use high factor suncream and flymask with nose attachment and my mare was fine all this summer

Tia

Visit site
'cos they are daft?
grin.gif

Not really for use to prevent sunburn but okay for the after-effects I guess. I don't ever use Sudocream as I think there are far better products on the market.

Irishcobs

Visit site
Interesting, my two have lived in sudocream (piled on so the whole pink nose is white) all summer for the past 3 years and have never (so far) got sunburn. So I will still use it.

S_N

Visit site
OK, so whilst I hear what you are all saying, Sudocream is essentially zinc and caster (sp?) oil - yes oil, so surely the oil assists the burning of the nose/pink skin? Esp. if the horse is left out in the sunshine..........

emma69

Visit site
Main ingredient in sudocrem is zinc. Zinc is a physical sunblock (it's used in a lot of human sun screens as the active ingredient) I know it works when the horses nose is literally white with the stuff, lots of our liveries used to use it. Once hurt, sudocrem soothes (again, zinc is a main ingredient in calomine lotion, so I guess same principle) Sorry, random info, no idea if that helps at all....

riotgirl

Visit site
My mum is a nurse and swears by sudocreme for almost everything. We have industrial sized vats of it all over the house!

Edited by Vix as cannot spell!

S_N

Visit site
The only time I've ever been around horses that have have Sudocream used on their sunburn, is this summer and they ALL burnt more badly after using it! Changed to Nivea Factor 50 total Sun block and all cleared up - am only going on my experinces + I don't really sudocream - gets bloody everywhere! Thanks goodness I don't have pink nosed horses......

SilverSkye

Visit site
Have to admit am a sudo cream addict! my mare has had 2 scabs on the fronts of her fetlocks for over 2 months just couldnt clear them, was almost like mudfever but right in the front of her fetlock joint and theres no mud!
Had the vet and he advised photosensitivity said he could treat with steroids topically and internally and anti biotics but mentioned he had seen a few horses with a similar problem and gave me a slightly unconventional method to try... basically lathered area with sudo cream put a layer of cling film then vet wrapped and left for 48 hours. When i took the bandage off area dead clean and although pink no scabs at all, 3 days later area had dried up and 5 days later stubbly hair started to grow. Am very sceptical whether this was photosensitivity having had the horse 6 years and her never having it before but the sudo cream definately worked!! having spoken to others this is also aparently a great way to treat mud fever!
sorry for waffling xx

sojeph

Visit site
Oh its great stuff for cuts and stuff but I'd never use it for sunburn. I used Nivea 50+ this year - was defo the best I've ever used.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I tried Sudo cream on cuts but every time I did my horse kept getting big legs - since reverted back to trusty purple spray and had no big legs since. You know in my big fat greek wedding what they are like about windolene - that is me with purple spray!

chief

Visit site
everyone at our livery yard uses it on white noses and we swear by it after using ordinary sun cream we found it to be a lot thicker and actually stayed there instead of running off although most of the horses find it funny to cover us in it instead! cheeky monkeys! but in past 5 or so years never had any sunburn and there noses are as soft as babys bums!!!

Zebedee

Visit site
NOOOO!!!!
Sudocreme is ZINC Cream, which is in itself 100% sun block! Zinc & Caster oil cream is lethal as you say SN, but you've met Oscar -a bigger pinker nose would be hard to imagine & he is kept sunburn free ALL summer - even through the last one with nothing but a liberal application of Sudocreme every morning!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I use Sudocrem but not on sunburn (mine dont get burnt) but have found it excellent for little cuts and nicks etc. I guess if you put on a thickish layer of sudocrem then it'll block out some of the sun?

emma69

Visit site
I never use it, mainly becuase the allergic reaction I get from it is to be believed! Still, it's a darn good excuse not to change nappies either
smile.gif

parsley

Visit site
I use it at night if one of mine has got a burnt nose and then in the morning I put factor 50 on them. I also use it for cuts and mudfever and for sore, chapped hands (mine)