I’m feeding sugarbeet and wondering how everyone does theirs
My feeding schedule is below

1 part sugarbeet and 2 parts barley together soaked

Then I give

1 scoop of that sugar barley mix

Half a mug micronised linseed

Half scoop alfa a oil

Half a scoop of mix

The sugarbeet has to be soaked for 24hrs and I’m struggling to be able to make enough as I’m rushed in the mornings as I have to go before work.

Can I make a few days worth and keep in an airtime container?
I don’t want to wait less that 24hrs as worried it will have a negative impact

Currently not even sure how to time it correctly so I have feed ready every night

meleeka

Visit site
It keeps perfectly well in the winter, not so much in the summer. I have thought before about freezing it, then taking out to defrost, but knowing me, I’d forget that too!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Winter a couple of days is fine. When we have hot days in the summer I only do enough for 1 day. Not sure airtight makes a difference but a lid otherwise little flies get in during the summer.

My summer routine is mix feeds including soaked sugarbeet in the evening for that night's dinner and following morning breakfast. Make up sugarbeet to use following evening

In the winter I make more and only have to make a new batch every couple of evenings. However in winter I may have to keep it wrapped in straw so it doesn't freeze

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Definitely don't put it in an airtight box, that would be a great way to ferment it and start turning it into sugar beet wine!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I soak a few days worth in an old supplement bucket with a lid but I don't push the lid on so it's sealed I just place it on top, my feed room is very cool in summer so it tends to be fine after a few days, in winter you could probably soak a bit more as it lasts better.

Machaelaj

Visit site
I do not soak for 24 hours. I use warm water and find six hours is plenty of time.

It is added dry in some mixes and pellets.
Oh okay so if I used warm water I could speed the process up? I’m just worried not giving enough time and it ends up swelling in his stomach

Cragrat

Visit site
I put sugarbeet pellets in soak in the morning to use for the evening feed, and in the evening for the morning feed. Just cold water, and never have any unsoaked pellets.

ETA i wonder if the 24 hours thing is left over from the sugarbeet came as big cobs, rather than little pellets?

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
ETA i wonder if the 24 hours thing is left over from the sugarbeet came as big cobs, rather than little pellets
I don't know but i checked my bag and itvsays a minimum of 24 hours. I suppose it could feel soft but have more exoanding to do. Anyway irs easy enough to soak the day before.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I feed purabeet which has a soaking time of 12 hours, so I make up in the evening for the morning and the morning to feed in the evening during the summer.

In the winter I make a few days up at a time.