Sugar Beet?????

debonhorse

Visit site
Can someone tell me exactly what sugar beet (Unmollassed) actually does. (Is it good for putting weight on, is it for energy, is it fibre or protein????) I didnt give it to my 2 for 1 night (unfortunately I had made a load up, and it had got to the stage where it smelt like alcohol so I threw it out, but obviously didnt have time to re-soak more It isnt the speedi beet!!) The next day they were like different horses, little angels, much quieter (not spooky)when out hacking, and definately better on the ground. Could this be from the lack of Sugar Beet the night before, or were they just having a very good day!!!

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Speedi Beet is unmolassed. Is fibre. Normal S/B with molasses is still fibre
smile.gif
but also starch from sugar, so if you are using the normal long soak stuff, could be the removal of extra sugar that changed behaviour. Or they could be in a good mood
wink.gif

debonhorse

Visit site
oh, so the long soak ones are actually mollassed?? I didnt realize. shoud I perhaps change to the speedi beet. I thought the only difference was it only took 20 mins to soak. HOW STUPID AM I???
So start again, should I change to unmollased speedi beet to keep up their fibre?? but hopefully down the fizzy?
Am I right in saying it only takes 20 mins of soaking? would I still give the same amount?

sorona

Visit site
I use speedy beet on mine and it is recommended for laminitics too. My friends pony can not tolerate normal sugar beet, she goes loopy, but is fine on speedy beet!
It is an excellent fibre provider and good for keeping horses warm, even if fed cold as it takes a while to digest so it heats them from the inside, much like hay.
I use 1 level scoop of the flakes in a large bucket of water and feed the same amount that i would of the normal stuff.
It takes 10 min to soak in cold water and only 5 in hot; or so it says int he bag, but i finmd from cold, it needs to be soaked for longer to absorb the water fully.

EnduroGal

Visit site
Also the Simple Systems Pura Beet is unmollassed - it looks like the normal stuff and needs to be soaked for 12 hours.

My lot don't really like the Speedi Beet for some reason plus I find it far too expensive....