Sugarbeat VS Speedibeat

Kelly1982

Visit site
I have always used sugarbeat and never had a problem, just made some up when i done my feed and the next day it was done!!

This year though i have decided to go down the speedi beat route, my new horse is totally hypo anyway so was worried the sugarbeat may send her dullaley (sp) even though my friends horse is of the same kind of nature and is fine.

So what do you use and why??

sally2008

Visit site
I always used to use sugarbeet but swapped over to Speedibeet a couple of years ago. Soooooooooo convenient and hasn't caused any heating problems with mine, and he is prone to them!

Kelly1982

Visit site
What made you swap though and did you have any problems with the sugarbeat??

My old horse was put on an EPSM diet and wasn't allowed sugar so now its made me really weary about giving horse loads of sugar.

Theresa_F

Visit site
I too always used to use sugarbeet but last winter swopped to speedibeet and though it costs more, do prefer it as it take little time to make up and is less heating and better for cob types.

Heidi1

Visit site
Use Speedibeet, convenient and in the depths of winter it was great, no trying to de-frost your sugerbeet. Also have two TB's on it and didn't heat them up and was recommended by the Vet for one of mine who suffers with a couple of attacks of tye up and I was trying to keep the weight on her............

ihatework

Visit site
when I used it it was speedibeet through the summer, as I would just make a small quantity at a time and it soaked quickly but would use regular sugarbeet through the winter as was making it in larger quantities and its a lot cheaper.

I now use alfabeet through the winter, fab stuff.

Kelly1982

Visit site
Thats another reason why i swapped as i didn't want to keep defrosting it when it froze over and was worried about the shards (sp) of ice cutting their throat or something.

I do worry about silly things though
tongue.gif

SSM

Visit site
Feed the Stonky Donkey on it (and soaked oats) and I have yet to see anything resembling warmth coming out of her!!!!!!

She loves it - we call it reddibrek (okay so I am a soppy git)!!!

Rambo

Visit site
Speedibeat is unmolassed anyway isn't it ? Bo gets it, and it certainly doesn't heat him....just fills his belly up lol!

sally2008

Visit site
Not problems really, just like you becoming more conscious of keeping sugar in his diet to a minimum. The convenience of Speedibeet was a factor too - it's nice to just be able to soak what you want, when you want for 20 minutes rather than have to plan in advance how much you're going to need.

the watcher

Visit site
I have always used unmollassed beet, speedibeet or quikbeet (not so good) as I try to avoid all sugar and cereals. I have natives and thought they really didn't need the sugar for weight reasons, the rest is just my preference

CJ1

Visit site
Good points - Speedibeet you can feed warm and quick, Sugarbeet is more sloppy and mixes in with dinner better.

Im about to try the new Fibre-beet.

Kelly1982

Visit site
Do you have to feed it warm the or can you still use cold water??

Have brought a bad but haven't started using it yet.

Sorry if thats a silly question

loopylucifer

Visit site
ok im gona disagree with people! used spedi beet a few times really didn't like as had to wait for it to soak (which seemed longer than (with hot water)and horse was less than impressed at having to wait!!) were as normal beet soak after feed ready nxt feed. you can get unmolased normal beet however once you remove the molaseses there is really not a lot left except calcium and fiber. sorry sticking with old sb nuts!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Ive used both. TBH I prefer sugar beet BECAUSE it heats them up a little! I find it is also very useful for shows, before XC's etc. to give them a bit of sugar beet water which gives them a little kick (sugar buzz!). Mine seem to prefer it to speedibeet.

filly190

Visit site
Just bought my first bag, as they had none of the normal. Must say, not very impressed, the time scale of waiting for it to soak correctly is about 20 mins, I still dont fully trust it, so have kept adding additional water, until it is drowning.

Then it looks like a sloppy mess. Before I would feed my horses the normal stuff and give them all the excess water, with this stuff, I wonder if it can possibly have the same amount of goodness.

Also the price difference - feel a bit ripped off. Going to finish the bag and never again