Sugarbeet

SilGathien

Visit site
Right, have just got in from horses and literally 5mins ago 12.3 pony barged out stable and headed for the open feed room. not good.

she's just eaten some sugarbeet shreds that had been left to soak without the lid on. these had been prepared about 10minutes before she headed for them.

i don't know how much she's eaten, but i don't think its alot, and mother thinks she had mainly water.

now i know sugarbeet swells in the stomach and can cause colic, but i just want to know what i should do. i think i'll just have to keep an eye on her.

any other ideas welcome, i'm just rather concerned >_<.

georgiegirl2

Visit site
I personally think shreds are less dangerous than cubes. My horse was accidentally fed one full scoop of sugar beet cubes by someone a couple of years ago who mistook them for nuts, we checked on him in the middle of the night and first thing early morning and the were no ill effects whatsoever - you wouldnt have known he had had them. I think if its a small quantity you should be fine but maybe go out in the small hours of the morning for a double check to put your mind at rest.

I also know of another horse who got into the feed room once and ate a similar amount - again, no problems. From know on I'm now quite anal about keeping the door shut at all times just in case. ive just moved to a yard where i regularly find the door open inside the barn (we have an american barn system so the horses are in the same building to it). I have recently put a note up explaing why it should be kept shut and everyone else agreed and so now i go down there feeling much more at ease!

Hope your pony is ok, let us know how s/he gets on.

SilGathien

Visit site
Previous post for bright eyes lol.

I assumed they would be less dangerous because they're considerably smaller.

Will definitely check her though.

It's annoying when they get out, and she has no manners whatsoever and heads straight for the feedroom if its open.

Will let you know
smile.gif

Happytohack

Visit site
I should think if it was a small quantity of shreds, she will be fine - the shreds don't absorb nearly so much water as the cubes.
years ago, a yearling I knew was fed a scoop of sugarbeet cubes by mistake. The vet was called and told the owner not to give any water for 12 hours to avoid the cubes swelling in the intestine. The yearling was fine and had no ill effects apart from being a bit thirsty.

Keep a close eye on her - if she is pooing ok and eating hay, I wouldn't be too concerned.