Suggestions for 1st Novice

Audacity

Visit site
My daughter is looking to do her 1st novice this year - we are looking for suggestions as to where would be a good 1st novice - we would have to have somewhere that does an open novice as the horse does have points and we are based in Yorkshire so ideally no a million miles away but would travel 3 hours. Had thought of Hutton or Aston in July but not sure what these are like or if anyone has any better suggestions - thank you

becca1305

Visit site
I did my first Novice at the UA at ALW just gone, I felt it was a very nice course. I have no personal experience of it but have been told that the Novice in July is also a nice one, perfect for those who have started the season at 100 and are now ready to step up.

Darremi

Visit site
My daughter is looking to do her 1st novice this year - we are looking for suggestions as to where would be a good 1st novice - we would have to have somewhere that does an open novice as the horse does have points and we are based in Yorkshire so ideally no a million miles away but would travel 3 hours. Had thought of Hutton or Aston in July but not sure what these are like or if anyone has any better suggestions - thank you

Hutton is quite technical and probably not a first time Novice.

In Yorkshire I would definitely recommend Richmond. I think it is in August.

There are pictures of the Novice at Richmond last year here:

http://www.shoestringeventing.co.uk/m-s.html

kassieg

Visit site
Richmond would have probably been my 1st suggestion as well :)
Def not brekenborough after seeing some of her new novice fences yesterday !!

Audacity

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions - would love to do Richmond in May but the Open Novice is the Saturday & we are down at Badminton on Friday & travelling home on Saturday - think she's keen to do a novice earlier than August so may try Aston in July unless there are any others I have missed.

Gamebird

Visit site
Hiya :)

I'd suggest Buckminster. Have used it for a first-timer more than once, and a pretty easy run for you. Aske isn't as bad as it used to be, especially if your SJ is OK. There's a biggish fence into the water, but he's a pretty experienced horse? Aston varies but is generally fine. Seems to swing between biggish and straightforward and a bit smaller but technical. I haven't done Hutton for a bit but was never a big fan at the higher levels.

I suspect the OP is pretty familiar with Breckenbrough ;-)

Audacity

Visit site
Thanks Gamebird - we've never done Buckminster but someone did say not to do it as a 1st one. Horse will be fine as he's very experienced but need to make things as easy as possible. show jumping we can practise & jump bigger classes BS - Aske (1) doesn't have an open novice keen to get a few novice runs in before daughter goes to uni in September!! I did actually think she could have had a good crack at 80% of Breckenbrough novice last weekend probably just 2 combinations that may have too much but then everyone was saying how tough it was - I personally think loads better than last year.

Mrs Pink

Visit site
Thanks Gamebird - we've never done Buckminster but someone did say not to do it as a 1st one. Horse will be fine as he's very experienced but need to make things as easy as possible. show jumping we can practise & jump bigger classes BS - Aske (1) doesn't have an open novice keen to get a few novice runs in before daughter goes to uni in September!! I did actually think she could have had a good crack at 80% of Breckenbrough novice last weekend probably just 2 combinations that may have too much but then everyone was saying how tough it was - I personally think loads better than last year.

We were at Breckenbrough on Sat and sister had 2 in the Nov sections and she thought it was kinder compared to last year last year but it did seem to cause quite a few problems, it definitely wasn't a dressage competition!

Agree with others about Richmond but what about Skipton for a June run, photo's are on Shoestring, they're running an ON section this time and I'd say the XC was on the bold side at Nov but rides well

Dusty M Yeti

Visit site
Aston is good because its sooo flat, so inexperienced rider won't have to think so much about ground/approach etc and can concentrate more on fences.

Gamebird

Visit site

The pics of Buckminster are here - I don't think it's either very big or technical. There's a bounce at 6/7 at the top of the hill, but it's separately numbered so you can jump both bits separately if you prefer. The arrowhead at the bottom of the steps is quite skinny, but there's an alternative. The water's quite straightforward, but it's next to the tradestands so you do need to get their attention. I honestly think it's a good one and it's in lovely old parkland - horses always seem to go well there.

https://plus.google.com/photos/1031...134106913698177879/albums/5897620915026746305

Gamebird

Visit site
Aston is good because its sooo flat, so inexperienced rider won't have to think so much about ground/approach etc and can concentrate more on fences.

It is in the main but I find they make full use of the mounds which can make it tricky. You can end up approaching fences from some quite steep up/downhill approaches.

Audacity

Visit site
We were at Breckenbrough on Sat and sister had 2 in the Nov sections and she thought it was kinder compared to last year last year but it did seem to cause quite a few problems, it definitely wasn't a dressage competition!

Agree with others about Richmond but what about Skipton for a June run, photo's are on Shoestring, they're running an ON section this time and I'd say the XC was on the bold side at Nov but rides well

I remember seeing Skipton novice last year & thought it was quite beefy!

vallin

Visit site
Watched a friend in the novice at Buckminster last year and seemed to be a nice flowing course with some big fences but not overly technical.