Suggestions for grazing muzzle horse can’t get off

charterline

Visit site
Horse needs a grazing muzzle on, only problem is, he’s figured out how to get it off. It’s a bucket style one with a strap that goes over the poll, like a headcollar.

I wondered if a green guard one would do the trick

Teajack

Visit site
Horse needs a grazing muzzle on, only problem is, he’s figured out how to get it off. It’s a bucket style one with a strap that goes over the poll, like a headcollar.

I wondered if a green guard one would do the trick
Design may have changed since but mine managed to lose two of them (probably still buried ln mud somewhere).

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
it depends how they are getting it off.
I did find with the shires deluxe the padded sleeve for the headpiece made it very easy to remove.
Some remove them by dragging the bucket on the floor- they can't do that with the dinky pony ones for instance.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
My bigger mini will get hers (Dinky) off, rubbing, or even better by hanging herself on a gatecatch then sitting down till the velcro parts or muzzle snaps, bloody monster. She has to go in a diet paddock for longer as I just cannot be bothered with the stress of it all!
The other mini is fine, so is one of the Fell ponies.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
my Fell is the master at getting them off-he basically either hooks the head strap on a fence post and hicks them off, when I started using a plait he just pulls upwards after hooking the bucket under something. I won't use a green guard so haven't tried him in one of those. I've watched him do it, very calmly and efficiently! He's the same figuring out gates and bolts. The other two ponies I've had would roll and try and undo the velcro that way-I just cover up the velcro with a fleece or sheepskin bridle thingy.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
My bigger mini will get hers (Dinky) off, rubbing, or even better by hanging herself on a gatecatch then sitting down till the velcro parts or muzzle snaps, bloody monster.

my Fell is the master at getting them off-he basically either hooks the head strap on a fence post and hicks them off, when I started using a plait he just pulls upwards after hooking the bucket under something. I won't use a green guard so haven't tried him in one of those. I've watched him do it, very calmly and efficiently!.

I think it's safe to assume DP is not very bright when it comes to the art of muzzle removal 🤣

miss_c

Visit site
G has it perfected! Best thing that worked for her was removing the 'padding' over the top of the head, and then putting the strap through a loop of baling twine plaited into her mane. I have about 3 so that while trying to find one I have another (and then another) ready to go on instead.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
We tied the muzzle to a field safe headcollar it was the only thing that worked, one of my Arabs got very good at removing it from the pony and he quite happily stood there while he pulled at it, it's like he just knew that he would be free of it.

buddylove

Visit site
I have tried every trick in the book, plaiting it into the mane, taping it to a snugly fitting headcollar, different styles etc etc, pony removes them every time! The only way I can restrict grazing is to keep him in a dry lot during the day (with lots of electric as he wriggles through regular fencing), and then grazing at night. He is a proper PITA!

fusspot

Visit site
I feel your pain.My son’s pony is a serial muzzle wrecker-and a master at removing them-he has obliterated 4 of the bucket one’s already this year-I have tried everything-Bought some buckle straps to attach to Headcollar but gets the whole lot off.Our grass is so good that as much as I hate them I have bought the Greenguard-no choice when farrier expresses his concern that he could be Lami bound.He has worn it this weekend and actually seemed happier than in a bucket one.We are smothering his chin and nose with Vaseline to stop it rubbing.I looked at the Dinky one which would last 5 minutes with him.A more expensive but better option.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Anyone that uses a muzzle a lot should keep an eye on the pony's front teeth. They can cause odd wear problems on some where the teeth are constantly rubbing against the nylon.