Suggestions for turnouts with hoods that do not rub mane?

pocket

Visit site
Hi, can anyone suggest a good turn out rug that does not cause rubbing of the mane. Ralph lost approx 6inches of mane from the base of the neck last winter due to the hood moving, the rug was changed every night and mane groomed etc, but still had some thinning, which has only just come back to its former glory
grin.gif

EllieBeast

Visit site
Ellies stayed well in place last winter in her weatherbeeta orican combo - and she lives out 24/7 so it had plenty of oppertunity to rub.
Sarah xXx

flyingfeet

Visit site
Bad question to ask - the shape of your horse will largely determine the amount of rubbing.

Best bet is a detachable neck cover with a lycra hood / neck cover underneath. Then take it off whenever you can to rest the mane.

Alternatively you can hog your horses! :)

mariond

Visit site
Yes I had the same problem. You are lucky ours still has not grown back properly and likes to stick up mohican style ! Someone suggested sewing satin inside the neck hood which would be less likely to rub at the mane. I think the type of mane your horse has makes a difference My mares is very thick and course so tended to get into the fabric whereas someone else I knew had an Arab and theirs mane didn't rub off at all.

JAK

Visit site
I used neck covers for the first time last year & after much umm-ing & aah-ing, chose H.I.'s Rhino combo rug - despite all 3 being totally different shapes, not one of them lost a single mane hair!
I am very, very fussy about fit though & have discarded many rug purchases due to being 'not quite perfect', so was pleased (& surprised!) to find a rug that fitted all 3!
(LBO had no mane when we got him, as it had all been rubbed off by an ill-fitting detachable neck cover!)
Stable rugs were 'standard neck' ones though, so their mane did get a bit of rest & fresh air! LOL

katelarge

Visit site
I had this last year from a stable rug. He lost almost half his mane and it took ages to grow back! This winter he will be in neck-free stable rugs and I'll get a new TO rug with a detachable neck and only use it on very bad days.

pocket

Visit site
Ahhhhhh
crazy.gif
Cant hog the mane he's a hunter and its just grown back, sorry for those who've not, its a pain in the a....!

Will prob go for the detachable hood and a bit of Lycra!!!!!!! Thanks for all you replies, glad its not just my beast that has the problem
grin.gif