Suggestions on Stallions Please

cazza

community.webshots.com
I am helping a friend look for a stallion for her mare. Can't put it to ours as her horse is related to our stallion. She is a full Quarter Horse and we are looking for a nice pure TB with good stamina background, looking for a TB between 15.2hh and 16hh, as breeding the foal for son who is going to be around the 6ft2 mark. The foal is being bred for polo.

Any thoughts anybody?
wink.gif

sallyf

Visit site
Just to add the above stallion is mine and he wont be standing in Devon next year as we are moving .
Fingers crossed we are anyway.

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
I think SallyF's High Tension would produce a nice polo type (looked at him for Tills), though it might be too chunky if put with a full QH - that'd be your/your friends call!
smile.gif

cazza

community.webshots.com
Must agree, had a look at the website and he looks beautiful, he's similar breeding to our gelding who is from a Sadler's Well's mare out of Darshaan. Although looks a bit too chunky. Really need to be looking for a lightweight TB as the mare in question is built like the proverbial brick sh*! house!
wink.gif

sallyf

Visit site
Ill keep a look out for you as we are looking for another little TB stallion at the moment so will probably see most of what is about.

cazza

community.webshots.com
That would be great if you could. As you probably know the Qtr horse has the 0-60 but that usually lasts for about 2 minutes of the game and then we need to find something with the stamina to last the next 4 minutes. Want something with nice long legs, as mare has really short legs and is quite long through the back, so preferably something short coupled. I know the mares bloodlines well and I know they cross really nicely with the lightweight TBs, just would like some referrals or help with which would be the best to go with. Thanks

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
I wish you'd told me that before yesterday! Did you notice a colt called Rawmi going through Ascot? Lovely little horse, impeccable breeding. My freind (of M'Bebe fame) brought him, but has already sold him on.
Cazza, you could do worse than him.

sallyf

Visit site
Vici dont tell me that im getting really frustrated that i cant get to any sales at the moment as still cant drive after having a major op.
Still it's only two more weeks and i will be rearing to go although i have been on the phone to people looking for stallions.
Actually vici just realised you have spelt it wrong Yawmi i have already rung up about that one and got no answer as sales stats said unsold.

htobago

Visit site
Slightly off-the-wall suggestion here, but have you considered using an Arab stallion?

You would get even more stamina than from a TB, plus cat-like agility, quick-footedness, intelligence and a lighter build to complement your more substantial mare...

I know diddlysquat about polo, but I've had polo people drooling over my Arab stally, watching him practice his high-speed 'handbrake' turns, 'nought-to-sixty' acceleration and slalom-racing skills when he's turned out loose in the sand-school.

An American amateur polo player and QH breeder wants to breed his QH mares to my boy to produce polo ponies - so maybe an Arab might be a possibility to consider? Just a thought!
smile.gif

cazza

community.webshots.com
Thanks Reynold I like the look of him, she definitely needs to produce something with legs, as she is a 14.2 with legs of a welsh section A!

Htobago: Would be a nice thought but I don't think it'll produce something tall enough, unfortunately little Q horse has one hell of an attitude on it and crossing that with an arab may produce even more of an attitude. I do not mean to be derogatory towards your horse I am talking more arabs in general. I do know I have owned two purebreds and one part bred in my time all mares all with serious attitude. But the most awesome competition ponies I must admit.

Magic104: 15.2hh is a perfect height, my best one was 16.1hh but it takes all sorts.

htobago

Visit site
That's OK cazza - no offence taken at all! I wasn't specifically suggesting my chap, just Arabs in general as a possibility, but I do take your point about height and 'heat'!
wink.gif
smile.gif