Suggestions please - Foot Abcess

Salcey

Visit site
Apologies for not putting this in vets forum but need a quick answer.
My Welshie had an abcess 2 1/2 weeks ago. Farrier cut it out, then poulticed hot then cold. The boy is now nice and sound no heat seems fine. I had plugged the hole with keratex hoof putty as I have done before with great success, but because of the size/shape of the hole it came out today when we rode him out for the first time.
frown.gif

Really don't want him to loose any more time off work as hes now happy and sound. Any ideas or tips on how to plug it up and keep it clean so it doesn't get reinfected. What does everyone else do?

Jemayni

Visit site
I might be missing something here, but when my horse had an abcess he was poulticed for a few days, then had his shoe back on and I just left the hole to heal on its own??? Surely it would be ok to just leave it? If your really worried ring your farrier...

spaniel

Visit site
I have a HoofEase boot which I pad out with cotton wool to hold in the plug. They are about £50 to buy but will withstand gentle hacking and hoolying round a muddy field!

JaneSteventon

Visit site
Hello

I had the same problem recently. I tubbed my horses foot in boiling water then dried it and then replugged it up with Keretax hoof putty. Did this weekly for about three weeks. Don't know if the putty stayed in fully between being redone, but it did the trick and mine had a really deep hole.

Kezza

Visit site
This is of no help at all but my farrier plugged mine and it stayed in so not sure if he used something special??