Suggestions Please

vanessahook

Visit site
I made a decision yesterday to sell my horse. I have had her since a yearling, she is now 7 so not an easy decision.
I bought her as a serious dressage prospect, unfortunately she has been extremely difficult since day one. I have tried every avenue i can think of from Monty Roberts people to intensive training at professional yards. I even spent a year at Catherston Stud with her and learnt together. There is nothing physically wrong either as she has everything checked regualrly. She is very aggressive in and out of the stable and is dangerous while being ridden, she has been over backwards. She is completely unhackable and im finally at the end of my tether after a weekend of training with a professional who just said im gonna end up getting killed if i carry on.
Naturally im distraught, this is the first horse i've had from baby to grown up. What do you think the best option is? i thought sell as a broodmare? i dont think its fair to advertise her as a dressage horse as she clearly hates any sort of "proper" training and can be dangerous.

Skhosu

Visit site
if there's no physical causes, I would be hesitant to send what sounds from your post like a bad tempered horse to be a broodmare. Why woul dyou breed from her?
I would sell her as a companion or a project?

vanessahook

Visit site
i wouldn't try to hide what she can be like from any potential buyers, but i can only afford to keep one horse at the moment and would like something to ride and compete on properly rather than watching my money go down the drain!!

Skhosu

Visit site
I don't think you would get much for her though.. snd I can't see anyone taking her on as a broodmare. what exactly does she do?

Bri

Visit site
Why don't you try project horse?

If there's a possibility that someone may be able to work through her issues and produce a useful animal? Or do you think she will never accept being ridden?

MissDeMeena

Visit site
I would put money on there being something physically wrong with her!!
With the sort of training you've had with the horse, i think you can safely say it isn't bad riding.. horses act like that for a reason!!
If it is a physical reason (ie an injury/not something that can b passed on in breeding) then i would think about breeding from her!

vanessahook

Visit site
She will accept being ridden just not the intensity of being a top class dressage horse. She did really well at Young Horse Evaluations when its all very simple but as the work has become more demanding so her attitude has got worse. (her attitude towards life in general has always been bad but riding wise it has got worse with the level of work being asked for)
I would like to think there is something physically wrong but cant think what it could be as she regualrly sees the physio, dentist and was fully vetted in Jan and passed with flying colours

airedale

Visit site
Absolutely NO WAY breed from this mare. You have used the word DANGEROUS.

It would be totally irresponsible to breed from a mare that after 7 years of TLC, kindness, love, effort, etc and the best of care you have been unable to resolve her problems.

There are so many mares out there with nice natures please don't risk this mare producing a foal that has inherited her temperament and attitude. That foal could then make someone like you as unhappy as you are now in 4 or 5 or 6 years time.

She doesn't like being worked, she doesn't like being hacked and you've tried everything.

Hard hearted but if she's been professionally labelled dangerous then IMO claim on the insurance and have her safely PTS before she kills you or anyone else.

Bri

Visit site
Well if it's just a case of her not enjoying what she's being asked to do, why don't you try project horse?

I think Izt had a good response from it with her horse...
I can't imagine you'd get an awful lot for her, but at least it would leave you with the time and money to get a horse that will happily take you where you want to go!

vanessahook

Visit site
Thanks for suggestion, i will have a think about it. Im not rushing into anything. Its such a shame, just goes to show that no matter how hard you try some horses never live up to their potential.