suggestions please....

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
as some of you may remember, sally was for sale a while back, and went off on trial 6 weeks ago, she then failed the vet for having melanomas (i can find one tiny one under her tail) so they have sent her back, anyway, my vet was really suprised she'd been failed for that, he said normally you'd mention thier presence & the insurance would decide whether to exclude or not, SO, knowing she has failed for that, if i readvertise her she's worth peanuts, i can't be faffed with the hastle of readvertising her in the run up to the wedding, so have chucked her out & she can stay out until the end of Jan (harry can take her to PC if he feels like it) but now i have no idea what to do with her longer term! do people generall7 buy horses with melanomas? Have a dealer who may be interested after christmas, but you know what dealers are like for 'might be interested'

so.... suggestions on a postcard, i'd rather not put her out on loan unless i get totally desperate!

GatefieldHorses

Visit site
As a dealer, we have many horses come in and go out and we have had a lot of greys with melanomas and NONE have failed on them. They are written down as a pointer but it shouldnt actually be classed as a failure so you obviously had very bad luck when they chose there vet!!!
It doesnt bother me in the slightest with a horse with them, you can do a lot worse!!

Tufty

Visit site
There should be no reason why you cant sell her as stated vets usually mention them but do not fail a horse. It is all about the mentality of the person who is buying the horse. I personally would rather have a horse that was genuine and straight forward with vices or melanomas than a horse with no vices and no faults and with a head that has been twisted. Price the horse right - and someone will buy her and give her a nice home DEALERS will want to steal your horse and who knows where it will end up.

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
I'd never given it a second thought until they said she'd failed, as long as a horse is sound & does its job i couldn't care if it only had one eye!

thanks for that, good to know it doens't tend to bother everyone, how mcuh would you say it devalued her buy.... or wouldn't it?

Tufty

Visit site
I have just sold my gelding who passed the vet but had a small sarcoid that took us an hour to find and I reduced him by £1000 and pointed it out to the people who then bought him. I think it is best to tell people about the fault then you dont get the time wasters. If they are going to niggle about things like this then they will be niggling about every little thing. Be positive and upfront about it - your horse will have many attributes that out weigh this little blip. To give you a guide - many people would buy a windsucker, a cribber etc - if it is a schoolmaster/mistress they would not care if it taught them alot !Loads of talented horses at the top of the profession have vices and all sorts of faults but they are totally overlooked by people because the horse does its job and well !

gnubee

Visit site
I would probably steer clear of one with melanomas unless there was a very strong reason why I should prefer it over similar horses on the market (such as a dramatic reduction in price or lack of availability of horses of that "type"), because of potential vets bills for them (especially if they are getting picked up at vetting and excluded on insurance), and because Ive seen too many horses with them on their face which then puts them out of use for extensive periods because you cant get a bridle on. Not what you want to hear, but my honest opinion.
Unless your horse is so especially good at what it does that people arent going to be able to get the same thing without sarcoids, one thing you could do to reduce their fears is see if you can find any insurance companies which would not exclude them and mention that to your prospective purchasers.

kirstyfk

Visit site
I have never seen a middle aged grey horse which doesn't have melanomas! People who buy grey horses know that they come with them and I can't see her how see didn't pass the vet. But if you change your mind about loaning - i'm free!

spaniel

Visit site
RD I would advertise her again, just as you did before but mention the melanoma when you get a call.

I think you were really unlucky to fail on it to be honest but wonder if it wasnt actually a fail but that it was pointed out on the vetting cert and thats what the buyer has picked up in error???

S_N

Visit site
Totally agree with everyone re: greys and melanomas and that she shouldn't have failed on it. Also agree with Spans about re-advertising, but mentioning it when called.

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
thanks guys, will leave it until after the wedding, just so i have more time (& i can't see i'll get much interest in the next month anyway) then let people know when they phone

emma69

Visit site
I too think it's odd she failed a vetting for that - we had several greys with melanomas that passed when we were selling them from the yard to private clients. I am sure she'll have fun lurking in a field until after your honeymoon tho!!!!! (How cool does that sound
wink.gif
)