Suggestions please!

Quadro

Visit site
Evening all!
My yearling is being very naughty and going through the electric fence. Its a proper once so to speak not tape and posts. The battery has been checked and has charge and there is def a shock in the wire. I have take her rug off as i think its creating a barrier for the shock getting through to her but i feel really bad about this. She is 14.2 and is stepping over the bottom strand and under the top strand. Putting a 3rd strand isnt really an option as its on proper fence posts with hooks etc on them. She has hay in her field, a shelter with straw bed in it and an automatic water trough. Any suggestions to deter her from escaping? I would rather she had a rug on as well.
Thanks everyone
Q

measles

Visit site
Naughty pony! What is capturing her attention and enticing her to get out do you think? Is she happy in the pecking order of the horse/s she is out with or does she have a friend she is trying to get to, or more grass, or...?

Look on the bright side - she will win equine limbo championships!

be positive

Visit site
I have found that once they learn they can get through it is hard to stop them without putting another row of tape or a second line of fence inside the main one, the grass is often greener on the other side, does she have company?

Quadro

Visit site
She is in with another yearling and a 2 year old so has friends to play with who she gets on with as the horses in the field she is escaping into like to beat her up where as the ones in her own field are fine. She is also fed everyday so not a hungry baby!
Q

TheoryX1

Visit site
It sounds like Mini TX's mare when she was a baby, and to be fair she still escapes out of any field with electric fencing around it, if she has a rug on, and she is a 15.1 hh horse. I think she is probably just a naughty little girl. Our YO has about 26 acres split into various fields, some of it divided up with electric tape and in the years where we have turned her away after the eventing season, we just accept she will end up in the other fields that the YO owns.

Oh well, good luck!

Mavis007

Visit site
When I had youngsters in a field with wooden posts with 2 rows of fencing tape I put a 3rd row diagonally so top connector 1 post, bottom connector next post then top connector again to fill in the gap between. Hope my description makes sense!

TPO

Visit site
QR- You can get a rug that amplifies the effect of electric tape. I'm sure it was in this month's Your Horse. That might be worth a look.