Suing an owner for injury to rider

stormox

Visit site
It happened to someone I know - a horse, 8yrs old, they were out hacking and the horse started staggering on the road and just fell sideways stone dead crushing the riders leg ( a friend of owner) and breaking it. She didn't sue.

mini_b

Visit site
I flicked over it but has there been a post mortem on the horse to establish the possibility of a catastrophic injury which lead to the fall.

one would have thought there would have been insurances in place from both parties.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Unless the owner/loaner objected to her riding the horse on this occasion, she was riding as part of her normal employment and this is an industrial injury, which owner/loaner's insurance company will deal with. She could be off work a very long time and her injuries could be such that she has sustained life-long effects

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
It’s a tough one. She was very badly injured and would’ve been unable to work for a good while, plus it sounds a horrific accident. If you’d had those injuries from a car crash you’d get compensation...

Not if the accident was nobody's fault, like a black ice slide and you were driving?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
It’s a tough one. She was very badly injured and would’ve been unable to work for a good while, plus it sounds a horrific accident. If you’d had those injuries from a car crash you’d get compensation...

That’s my feeling too. It’s not a malicious ‘action’ more one born out of necessity I suspect.

I’d sue too.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Someone, a friend had quite a nasty accident on my horse.
She didn’t sue me, I did at one point say I’d half expected it, she laughed and said a horses were horses type thing.
It was a while ago and the horse wasn’t insured. If similar happened now (older wiser insured!) id be happy for them to make a claim

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
As a groom, dont you have your own insurance too?. It's reported that the horse, Tommy, was "being naughty", whereas in reality he was in his death throws. How can the owner be liable for that ? Confused ?

Even if she did, and she might not if she wasn't a freelancer, the insurance company would try to avoid paying if they thought the claim could be passed elsewhere (the owner).

Goldenstar

Visit site
So horse rears up, falls over and dies. Rider is injured. Rider is sueing owner for 100k for injuries. Would you ?

Sounds like the horse suffered a Heart problem he looked like a lovely boy .
It does not sound like the employer was in any way negligent .
It will be interesting to see what the outcome is .

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Yes the insurance companies would sort it out, so long as both drivers had fully comp insurance.

Only one driver involved, just like the horse. Black ice, slide into a wall. Car is insured if fully comp, but they don't pay out on your insurance for injuries that happen to the insured driver, usually, do they? I thought you had to have personal accident cover for that.