Suitable length hack for a youngster

Solo1

Visit site
What would you say is the maximum length/distance hack for a youngster?

Unfortunatly it's all roadwork but there are grass verges for most of it.

She's barefoot, 14.3hh and I'm 9.5 stone if that makes any odds...

Waltzing Matilda

Visit site
How young, what work do u do with her already (so her current fitness) and do u mainly walk or trot on hack?
I wouldn't.do.too.much but u can build up gradullsy. It is said that 90% of concussive forces up the leg come from shoes, so.if the work.level suits hers fitness then being barefoot, she should b fine on roads. X

Solo1

Visit site
Currently she gets 20 minutes x 3 schooling in the school and then a hack down the track and a canter once a week, then down the track and onto the lane and back again which is about 2 miles, she comes back full of energy.

I trot or canter down the track, but always walk on roads. It's all flat as well, no hills.

I think she can cope with barefoot her feet are brilliant, but I'm just petrified she might get tired and trip and go down. She's never tripped with me yet, but I can feel her getting bored with her usual hack or down the track and up the lane. Thing is if you go further then the top lane you have to dedicate yourself to a hack that's about 7/8 miles as there's no shortcuts.

I just long to get her out the school really but don't want to compromise her joints and don't really know what to do!

Last edited:

Sammie&Spoilt

Visit site
I've got three youngsters, one's not even ridden yet, but when they'd first been backed etc, we did down the road so 15 mins, and then ever 2/3weeks or so we increased the lengh, and did some hill work, now she's extremely fit. Can hack for 3+hours, only 5 haha.

Waltzing Matilda

Visit site
Sounds like a short hack in walk with some trot and a canter should b fine, it is less strenuous on the joints than schooling. I would prob start with 30 mins if u can and build up more to do with fitness that strain on joints. If she gets tired u can always get off and walk her back, but doesn't sound like she lacking energy. If u have to go out for longer than 30 mins, I might increase her schooling in walk up to 30 mins for a week or 2, then hack her on another day for 40-45 mins. U can always just walk the first time. She will prob let u know if its too much.
X

Waltzing Matilda

Visit site
U should b able to do trotting on roads. Its much mire about fitness than strain on joints with a barefoot horse (as long as foot is trimmed correctly and balanced), any imbalanced hoof shod or otherwise will put unnecessary strain on joints, tendons, ligaments etc. X

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
You still haven't said how old she is...

I personally would do less in the school and more hacks with a youngster. Our big immature 4yr old hacked up to 1.5hrs happily, but it is very hilly here. You could tell when he was getting tired..

Solo1

Visit site
Ah sorry - she's 4 :) Thought I'd put that but obviously not, doh! She hasn't grown since she was 2, bum and withers are level so I don't think she's got much more height in her. Mentally she's very mature, she goes correctly and sweetly in walk, trot, canter and is very balanced.

The thing is I don't think she'd tell if she was tired, she's a very much get on with it type. Think I might start building up the roadwork a bit :)