Summer Grazing

Ambers Echo

Visit site
The horses are being moved to their summer fields on Saturday and can be out 24/7. The grass is pretty long and I am concerned about Jenny who has a tendency to gorge.... But I seem to recall someone saying long older grass is ok. It's the stressed grass that is worse? Should I just turn her out with the others and keep an eagle eye on all their feet or would you limit her/their access at first till it's been eaten down a bit? I've never had a problem before with summer grazing even with natives but I am feeling concerned about it this year. Not sure why really. She is not fat and works hard. I am not allowed to strip graze or divide the field.

Nari

Visit site
I'd limit her access. Yes the longer grass has a lower % of sugar in it BUT they eat so much more that overall they consume more sugar, and it's the amount of sugar they eat that's the problem.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Somewhere in between but the rougher end of things. It has never been used by cattle. Horses have been on it for 35 years.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
It also has a huge variety of plants on it. YO is forever being asked to allow some society to treat as a Site of Special Something or Other for it's rare flowers, plants etc but the restrictions that would impose on her are just impractical for a working livery yard.

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
My two are natives and they would balloon, it would not be a happy ending if they went out in the huge summer fields 24/7.
We limit them, they have a 3 acre paddock to share instead -and they come in during the night because the one has sweet itch so dawn and dusk is not fun for her at all.

Id bring her in either day/evening if you can for a while at least whilst the other horses munch the grass down

supsup

Visit site
Another alternative would be to try a muzzle. You could pick a design that is reasonably permissive, and they tend to work ok with moderately long grass. You could use it in combination with part-time stabling, or if she gets on well in it, even leave in on 24/7 in the short term. I wouldn't usually muzzle 24/7, but if it is merely while the others graze down the field, it might be more effective than part-time turnout (unmuzzled) or wearing the muzzle only part of the time while on grass (as they will tend to gorge and make up for lost time if given the opportunity).

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I put mine out on the fat field during the day and back in their thin field overnight with soaked hay for a couple of weeks before moving over full time.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mine has been going out about 10am and coming back into the winter field about 3pm. I'll keep that up until the grass is eaten down and then move to 24/7 in the summer field.

Fiona

Visit site
I put mine out on the fat field during the day and back in their thin field overnight with soaked hay for a couple of weeks before moving over full time.

This is what we do with the 12hh pony who lives out. She gets more grass with the two bigger ones during the day, and then in her bare small paddock overnight.

FIona