Summer issues

RubysGold

Visit site
Im thinking ahead as I remember being told last year that the best thing to do was start before the symptoms do at the start of spring

My boy really struggles in summer with itching. He is constantly scratching on anything he can and that even includes laying down and rubbing himself along the floor. Trying to put a saddle on is horrible because he wants to itch and it irritates.

I think I will buy him a good strong sweetitch rug (although then he’ll likely be hot!) but what supplements have people found effective? i have an entire cupboard full of shampoos and creams that dont seem to help but maybe a supplement working from inside might help

Tash88

Visit site
Nettles are really good for itching - Global Herbs might do a supplement containing them (I rate their products) or you can buy them on their own. They are even more effective as a liquid though, but I've only found that made by a medical herbalist.

Apizz2019

Visit site
Im thinking ahead as I remember being told last year that the best thing to do was start before the symptoms do at the start of spring

My boy really struggles in summer with itching. He is constantly scratching on anything he can and that even includes laying down and rubbing himself along the floor. Trying to put a saddle on is horrible because he wants to itch and it irritates.

I think I will buy him a good strong sweetitch rug (although then he’ll likely be hot!) but what supplements have people found effective? i have an entire cupboard full of shampoos and creams that dont seem to help but maybe a supplement working from inside might help

I haven't used it myself but some of the liveries at the yard I'm on, swear by Deosect.

Our pony gets a really itchy tail in summer and often rubs it. I wash regularly in tea tree shampoo and spray on diluted megatek. It seemed to help last year but I'm not sure there is any science in what I do.

I'd be inclined to try things which soothe itching - udder cream is meant to be great and is very cheap but not ideal if yours is itchy all over.

My guess would be its an allergic reaction to bites but summer brings lots of biting insects, so it's hard to isolate to exactly what. Unless you get the vet involved but even then you may find you're many £££ later and still none the wiser.

I can't recommend any supplements specifically but I've heard many swear by garlic and apple cider vinegar. I haven't tried either but it might be worth a try?

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Wrap him up as completely as you can BEFORE the midges arrive.
He sounds as if he needs complete head, neck, brisket, body, belly and sheath protection.
This is what worked for me.
My mare stopped itching when completely covered. She threw herself on the ground and chewed at her ‘undercarriage’ in desperation.
I also stopped feeding alfalfa, molasses and cereals.
In the 3 years I owned her I used 1/2 a small pot of BiteBack silver cream nothing else.
She rarely rubbed, her tail grew back beautifully but her mane was always short.
I hope you can find something that works for you from the suggestions.

Reactions: PSD

Griffin

Visit site
You could try antihistamines, they are fairly cheap to buy on Amazon and can work well.

I have tried a few things over the years and I think like most situations, some supplements suit some horses better than others. A horse at the yard did very well on NAF's D-itch last year but I am yet to find a supplement for mine that replaces the need for antihistamines.

PSD

Visit site
I’ve already started rugging my itchy pony.

I use biteback sweet relief cream twice weekly and she’s rugged in her shires highlander rug 24/7, unless we’re out on a walk then I take it off.

I’m tempted to try nettles this summer and see if it helps but I will see how she gets on first