Summer sores

katy_opdeweegh

New User
Visit site
Has anyone had any sucess in treating summer sores ? I have a 20 year old shetland who for the last 5 years has had terrible trouble with summer sores. I've had vet treatment for him, my fields are always poo picked, stables spotlesss, regularly wormed with Ivermectin. Does anyone have any other tricks, tips or cures? Please it's driving him and me mad!

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I had my first one this year! I wormed him, and vet recommended that if possible, try to rub some of the wormer on the sore itself for a couple of days. Sore seems to be almost gone now. First time dealing with them!

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I've had horses nearly all my life and gave never heard of summer sores??!! What are they?
It’s like a round ulcer looking thing that pops up from a kind of worm/parasite that burrows through the skin to get into the horse. Gross! West gate labs have a good article on them on google

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It might be worth mentioning that these are often US-linked so their fly species will come up more on a google search but we do have a UK version.

OP is that definitely what it is?

katy_opdeweegh

New User
Visit site
It might be worth mentioning that these are often US-linked so their fly species will come up more on a google search but we do have a UK version.

OP is that definitely what it is?
Yeah 100% it's been recurring since 2012 when i rescued him. I'm at my witts end with it this year. Think im going to try antihistamines and permethrin cream.

Brownmare

Visit site
Yeah 100% it's been recurring since 2012 when i rescued him. I'm at my witts end with it this year. Think im going to try antihistamines and permethrin cream.
If it's been ongoing for years then the chances are your pony is infected with an ivermectin resistant strain. I'd ask your vet about alternative worming strategies and consider using a sheep or cattle wormer off license. Oregano oil is also a very effective natural wormer (we have used it on a resistant worm population in our sheep) so worth asking your vet about that too.

katy_opdeweegh

New User
Visit site
If it's been ongoing for years then the chances are your pony is infected with an ivermectin resistant strain. I'd ask your vet about alternative worming strategies and consider using a sheep or cattle wormer off license. Oregano oil is also a very effective natural wormer (we have used it on a resistant worm population in our sheep) so worth asking your vet about that too.
My vet is wonderful and we've tried so many different options. I had a faecal count done and there was nothing alarming with that. It's infuriating.

Brownmare

Visit site
My vet is wonderful and we've tried so many different options. I had a faecal count done and there was nothing alarming with that. It's infuriating.
The other thing you can do is to focus on control of the intermediate host (flies) by putting up fly traps and using an insecticide on the pony. I have had great success with Coopers Spot On for cattle as it lasts 6-8 weeks.

katy_opdeweegh

New User
Visit site
The other thing you can do is to focus on control of the intermediate host (flies) by putting up fly traps and using an insecticide on the pony. I have had great success with Coopers Spot On for cattle as it lasts 6-8 weeks.
They live out 24/7 in a 17 acre field, they have access to an open stable block that already has fly traps up. I'm going to look up coopers now! Thanks!!