Sunburn, Pink Nosies

BBs

Visit site
Poor Rocky, YO's old JA pony has a really pink sore nosie
frown.gif
we have tried everything including the sun cream for horses! and other lotions and potions.

It was sore and cracked - looks like serious burns on his nose at one point and i covered it in Protocon (sp?) cream last night - this morning all the scabs have dropped off leaving bare clean skin but very pink - i couldnt catch him to put him in his box this morning
crazy.gif
and am worried becuase today is going to be hot that its going to re-agravate it!

What else can i be using to sooth it? ive tried sudocream but nothing really knocks it on the head!

YO is away this weekend - and i am trying to get is sorted before she gets back.

Thanks - will try and get him from the field again at lunch time!

_April_

Visit site
Yeah I thought sudocreme was the best too.

Maybe try the Factor 50 waterproof/active stuff in the short term and look into getting the fly covers for a long term solution.

lillie07

Visit site
I used Sudocream on my mare but my Vet said it was the worst thing I could be doing as the rub it off so it becomes a thin layer and all it does then is magnify the sun. The best thing we found was using a full lenght fly mask, when my ponies nose was sore I taped a melolin (sp?!) to the inside to stop the mesh of the mask rubbing

BBs

Visit site
Okay thanks guys - will see if they have a fly mask handy - i have one but without the nose bit!

I tried putting one on his mate this morning but he ran backwards so i had to remove it quick GRRR

Also putting in his box i reckon he will rub it more and make it even more sore -ahh this is why i dont buy horses with pink noses lol

Thanks again!

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Aftersun with Aloe vera for sunburnt noses, then total sunblock to prevent it. If they rub this off then one of the flymasks with the nose cover.

teapot

Visit site
When a couple of the RS ponies burnt their nose after the fields had been sprayed (they weren't immediately put back out, it was left to settle etc but those affected all had pink noses)

we used the NAF MSM ointment cream on them as a barrier. So maybe it'll work for sunburn

BBs

Visit site
Thanks again guys - i plastered him in NAF Sun Block stuff at lunch time and he loved it - to my surprise as he was such a git to put it on last night! and wouldnt come near me this morning!

Shall do it again later and get him some E45 and factor 50 tomorrow.

Thanks again

Vxx

lisan

pets.webshots.com
May's was a right mess last week, but she would'nt let us touch it to put anything on, managed to rinse it and sudocream it one night, then she stayed in for a few days. Now got some factor 30 spay suncream (quite funny trying to get that on!!) and stick her out in a fieldsafe headcollar with an equilbrium nosenet (that is for sun protection) and she had been fine this last few days.

Molineux

Visit site
V I used to use E45 factor 80 on Wolfe its a fab sun block and its oil based so it does not dry the skin out more.
Sun creams always dry the skin - Also Mr Men have different colour's and they go up to factor 100!
Green is the best!!

Wolfe never burnt with the E45 sun cream you can buy it in boots.
If you want me to get some tomorrow send me an email and I can bring it the yard on Sat.
I think its around £9
shocked.gif
!

LauraBR

Visit site
A friend of a friend uses Aluspray as a total 100% sunblock- works like a charm apparently- although could not verify from personal experience... theory seems to make sense...

Pidge

Visit site
Aloe Vera or sudocrem to heal it. Then highest factor suntan lotion possible on white bits, and if you can get one the equilibrium nose nets - fantastic worked on mine and sis horses this year - no pink noses at all, not like last year when relied just on suntan lotion.