Sunburnt nose dilemma!

Illusion100

Visit site
Factor 30 does not cutting the mustard so far this year. Of to pick up Factor 50 in morning.

Dilemma is as follows;

Even with suncream, it needs re-applied several times a day which isn't possible at the moment. Asking others to pop some on is also an issue as the horse is young, has trust issues and can be very sharp with other people.

Have tried attaching various things on headcollar to cover his nose. Cue sneezing, snorting, wheezing, groaning, headshaking, rubbing and ground snorkelling from said horse until he has ripped cover off.

Got a light mesh nose net and sowed fabric into middle of it to cover the pink area of his muzzle (took me 4 hours!), attached to headcollar and put it on horse...and it stayed on all day.....

However he flings his head up so the cover flips away from his muzzle and anytime it flops back down to do the job it's supposed to he repeats the process.

Please enter a genius plan below :) His nose is very crispy :(

_HP_

Visit site
I use Nivea factor 50 on my lot and it lasts all day....:)

Could he come in for the hottest part of the day?

Other than that, you need to sew something like a bra underwire into the bottom of the flap so that it stays curved over his nose and doesn't flip up.

Tinypony

Visit site
I have two pink-nose boys in my field. Whatever I tried they'd still catch the sun to some extent. I got this stuff - from Australia! It lasts for ages, I'm just finishing a pot that I used all last summer. Incredibly because it's a powder, it works all day. There is something about it that makes it hard to shift, as I can see when I have it on my hands. Yes, a long shot, but it could just work. http://www.myponysunblock.com/

Welshboy

Visit site
I have the same problem, as my lovely pink skinned cob nap burns very easily. He doesn't like masks/nose nets and rolls on floor to remove them :( I use a waterproof factor 50, but it still isn't really adequate for weather/sun like last couple of days - does help tho to some extent. Ideally, I try snd being him in between 10 and 4, then slap in the lotion and tutnout - definitely the only way I can keep him totally burn free.

lhotse

Visit site
I use the Nivea Baby factor 50, it's very water resistant and non irritating too. I do use a nose net from Equilibrium in the height of summer though, it keeps the flies off her nose and is pretty difficult to invert. Sudocreme is a good barrier to use while the nose is sore and will sooth the sunburn, I wouldn't put ordinary suncream on until the sunburn is healed.

Illusion100

Visit site
Hi guys, thanks for replies!

I would bring him in for hottest part of day but he has various issues and stabling him alone would really shatter his confidence and set back his current training (he's only 3) :(

Factor 50, all day, water resistant sunblock it is for now then and thank you for the link Tinypony, never heard of that stuff before! :)

One non crispy-nosed horse please!

Tim's Girl

Visit site
I found a gold label sunblock in my tack shop that lasts most of the day. Failing that I use a kids factor 50. Usually nivea or boots as he reacted to some of the others

Tinypony

Visit site
Sudocream seems to act as a bit of a sunblock as well, so you can't go wrong with that. I hope he wasn't too upset about you spreading it on his sorely nose!
I have a friend coming over from Aus in July and I've asked him to pack some MyPony, it's that good. But that's going to be a bit late from you! I'd be surprised if it didn't work for you, but it will be a bit of a pricey exercise getting it here I'm afraid.

mynutmeg

Visit site
We use sudacream - stays on way longer than sun cream and is a complete block. Team that with a fly mask with full nose net and no more burnt noses, and this is on a horse who has been so badly burnt in 24 hours he had to be stabled for a week as he had 2nd degree burns

hayinamanger

Visit site
Zinc Oxide cream, total sunblock, lasts a week.

Sudocrem, high zinc content, easier to put on than ZO, and lasts nearly as long.

Hairy Horror

Visit site
Apismel tablets from a health shop also help heal burns, I give my cob two a day in his feed and his nose stays perfect, I also use kids factor 50.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
For our pink nosed pony out 24/7 I got a fly mask with a fairly stiff nose section. Like you I stitched dark, denser netting down the middle . Because the fly mask was stiff she couldn't remove it or flip it. I will try find a pic. Worked a treat.

Illusion100

Visit site
Sudocream seems to act as a bit of a sunblock as well, so you can't go wrong with that. I hope he wasn't too upset about you spreading it on his sorely nose!
I have a friend coming over from Aus in July and I've asked him to pack some MyPony, it's that good. But that's going to be a bit late from you! I'd be surprised if it didn't work for you, but it will be a bit of a pricey exercise getting it here I'm afraid.

He was really good about it. He really appreciated the coolness and gentle massage, some Aloe Vera put on then sudocream etc.

If you can PM me the price of the stuff I will try some if F50 is no use and if your friend has any baggage allowance left for an extra pot of powder!

Illusion100

Visit site
We use sudacream - stays on way longer than sun cream and is a complete block. Team that with a fly mask with full nose net and no more burnt noses, and this is on a horse who has been so badly burnt in 24 hours he had to be stabled for a week as he had 2nd degree burns

Poor horse! Sunburn really is awful, I prefer Winter! ;)

Illusion100

Visit site
For our pink nosed pony out 24/7 I got a fly mask with a fairly stiff nose section. Like you I stitched dark, denser netting down the middle . Because the fly mask was stiff she couldn't remove it or flip it. I will try find a pic. Worked a treat.

He just seems quite distressed about anything over his muzzle. I left him to it this morning and just kept peeking at his 'remove horrific suffocating thing' antics during the day. When I went up to do his training session 5hrs later he was still very upset. Felt bad about my tough love. :(

foxy1

Visit site
I'd get his liver function checked; when my youngsters were suffering with liver disease their noses got sore and crusty

throughtheforest

Visit site
Due to the fact that yours seems to burn even with regularly applying the sun lotion I would look into whether he is having a reaction to photosynthesis. Its due to certain plants and a type of clover in the grazing. Our pony showed the same signs as yours and it turned out to be this. He has had no symptoms since moving him off that particular type of grazing. Have a look into it.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Mine got badly burned last year, could hardly get her headcollar on as it was so sore :( this year Iv started putting it on wven if it's not very sunny. I use Nivea kids waterproof- think its factor 30. In the evening I'm also using Sudocreme to soothe so I'm hoping this will help! :)

pip6

Visit site
Get a fly mask with a nose extension that'a sewn onto it. Get one that is a robust mesh. No creams or potions stopped my youngsters very pink nose, by her fly mask with nose cover stops all burning, no creams required.

SO1

Visit site
My pony has a pink nose but he wear a grazing muzzle due to being a good doer and since he has been wearing his muzzle he has no problems with a burnt nose.

Could you adapt a grazing muzzle perhaps by making the hole bigger so they can still get lots of grass but still keeping the majority of the nose covered.

McCauley

Visit site
Echo the Gold Label Sunblock. I've tried umpteen factor 50 sunblocks over the years and none have stay put and lasted like this one. I be-grudgingly bought a tub this time last year and i've still got perhaps a good third of it left to start using again this year now the sun is making an appearance!