sunflower seeds

seaview

Visit site
I have been feeding my lot a cup a day and I was wondering how much you can feed?
I need weight on teo of my horses at the moment and am adding these as an extra!
thanks in advance
x

Theresa_F

Visit site
My two - 16.3 20 year old clydie and 14.2 2 year old gypsy cob get a big mugful each daily - about 1/2 pint split into two small feeds. (They are spoilt and like brekkie and dinner). They are doing very well on this.

They only get hi-fi chaff in the summer and in winter a few nuts and a bit of speedibeet in terms of other hard feed. They both get a good vit and min supplement.

If you are trying to put weight on, why not try Equimmins pro-bio - it has worked wonders on my skinny TBs and I use it on my cobs to keep their guts working to optium level.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
PF eats stripey ones because I can't get the black ones here
smile.gif

Ginn

Visit site
Do you soak them or feed them as they come? Also, can you get them at the feed merchants (as the ickle superamarket packets would work out v expensive!)

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I used to soak PF's as I thought they would be a bit hard (stripey ones have harder shells, so I've heard) but she doesn't mind them at 'as they come' at all. And you can get them at garden centres I believe though I do get mine at the local feed merchant.

seaview

Visit site
yeah i got mine there today, they appear to be bird food!
so i am sure the 20 geese that have decided to make my yard their home will enjoy them too
smile.gif

Thanks PF just unsure whether the stripey ones were good enough, how much do you feed?
x

seaview

Visit site
Also PF you mentioned on another post you have a fact sheet about oats or something, did i dream that?
am in the porcess of changing to feeding straighst and would love as much advice as i can get!
xx

eekmon

Visit site
I use black sun flower seeds! 2 mugs a day for my 14.2, I am using them for his feet but after reading the the links on here I found out they have lots of other benifits
smile.gif
I order mine from my feed lady and yes they are bird feed! I pay £9 a bag (delivered) My horse loves them, but did tend to pass quite alot to begin with, not quite as bad now!
smile.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
I always use black ones - they are softer and easier to digest than the stripped ones.

I pay £7 for 15 kilos from my local feed merchant.

Mine have definately nicer coats and feet since being fed them.

riotgirl

Visit site
They are supposed to make the coat shiney and also give the hooves much better condition. Think the black ones are best as the stripey ones don't digest as well. Having said that, I fed them to my girl earlier this year and during the springtime my manure heap was dotted with sprouting sunflowers.
grin.gif