Super Spanish dodging the rain- lesson indoors at AM Dressage

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Thought some HHOers might be interested in a little update from Armas as I think we're getting somewhere :) Haven't been to any shows for a while as he seems to be more or less over the wild-spooking-galloping-unrideable phase so the quick fire outings have done their job. Now what is holding the marks back was his general way of going :rolleyes: no surprises there really!

Having more time to spend at home working on the basics has been so so valuable now and I think we're starting to crack it. Though perhaps not strictly the correct order in an ideal world, I think it was the right way to do it -he's grown up lots for having seen so many sights lately and is now mentally ready to do proper work ;)

The first couple of weeks were spent mainly working on the track and 3/4 line working on straightness and accepting half halts, proper corners etc to get him more over the back, on the aids and into the rein without overcomplicating things. Now I'm able to introduce smaller circles, changes of rein, wiggling round poles and jumps etc without losing the quality of the work (or his attention) which is exactly what we needed to sort out in order to be able to ride a test properly. He's also seen the chiro to un-kink his left side again and that's helped too. Now he feels like he's taking me along more and I've got something to sit on

Yesterday we trundled off to AM Dressage for a lesson with Adam Kemp. Happily the upward trajectory continued and he stayed pretty much with me through most of the work, just getting a little high in the neck in some moments. It was nice that Adam could see the improvement :)

The plan is to try and move up to Medium fairly soon as I think the tests are more suited to his strengths - the more sideways you can do, the more connected he becomes so the higher level work will suit him better. With that in mind we started off with shoulder in to travers

Then we had a little play with the medium trot again - in fairness to the horse I haven't worked on this at all since we were last at Adam's, theory being the basic work will help to strengthen and improve the lengthening anyway. I was pleased that he was trying to offer some bigger steps even if they were rusty. It's a little bit tricky to get the balance and submission to the contact at the same time as the power and *effort* from him so looks a bit messy at times. It will fall into place in the end ;)

Then we moved on to the half passes. First of all in canter as that's his easier pace, and then trot. The half passes are still a bit green but improving so in a couple of months I think they will be presentable!

To finish we had a go at the piaffe with me on board. Adam's done a few sessions in hand with him earlier in the year so it was time to move on to having a passenger. I've tinkered with some half steps at home, more as an exercise in exaggerated 'waiting' and then being able to walk out of it in a relaxed way and have found he is pulling into the rein positively afterwards - similar experience after the piaffe this time but with a bit of lingering tension.

All in all, I think it was a really positive session and I'm pleased that he's becoming more supple and I'm able to challenge him more without him getting offended or worried.

Here's the main vid - we were chatting for a while at the start so fast forward to about 7 mins if you want to skip that ;)

[video=youtube_share;YAtgTZMlC04]http://youtu.be/YAtgTZMlC04[/video]

And here's the piaffe

[video=youtube_share;Za5cT3TTuEg]http://youtu.be/Za5cT3TTuEg[/video]

Out in the field today being a horse in the rain ;) Millie is finally allowed to join him after 3 months stuck indoors - she's in an electric fence maze of 12x12 foot squares joined by little gaps so that she can mosey about but not charge round! Up to 40 mins walking in hand, should be back on board next month.

home_zpse27a9c1a.jpg

Palindrome

Visit site
Great work :)
He doesn't really seem ready for the piaffe to me, he is still sometimes running away in the lateral work so perhaps he doesn't have the strength in his topline yet. Have you tried slowing down the trot and ask more engagement of the hindlegs in the lateral work?
I have to say, please don't take this as criticism, you ride him beautifully.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Much improved and it sounds like you're really enjoying him and learning lots. Part of being a good trainer is knowing when a horse might need to do things a bit differently.

milliepops

Visit site
Thanks all :) He's such a sweet horse who really tries hard, it's impossible not to have a soft spot for him!

Lovely update, I found the piaffe video really interesting, I think you really suit each other.

Thanks, when I first sat on him it was interesting to say the least, but I think we're speaking the same language now :D

Great work :)
He doesn't really seem ready for the piaffe to me, he is still sometimes running away in the lateral work so perhaps he doesn't have the strength in his topline yet. Have you tried slowing down the trot and ask more engagement of the hindlegs in the lateral work?
I have to say, please don't take this as criticism, you ride him beautifully.

Thanks - no fear, it's not something he's doing a lot of, in fact I don't think he has done any real work on piaffe since the last in hand session in February. It's just something to tinker with which delivers other benefits. In hand he shows real ability to sit :) Re engaging in the lateral work, absolutely that's what he needs to do - again it's a work in progress. At the moment keeping it fairly freely forwards helps him stay softer and more 'out' in the contact. 6 months ago he clammed up and was really backward thinking in the lateral work so it's been quite important to correct that ;) As he's getting more accepting of half halts in straight lines, so he will hopefully get the idea going sideways as well :) Will keep chipping away!

Sorry, late to the party; has he changed hands or are you just riding him? Love him, he's a cutie.

Lol, no James still owns him but he's been on my yard since December :)

Much improved and it sounds like you're really enjoying him and learning lots. Part of being a good trainer is knowing when a horse might need to do things a bit differently.

He's so different to Millie it's certainly a challenge - a super challenge though. It's a great learning curve, some of the work at home is just instinctive and then we go to Adam and both get nudged along a bit more, he's got so much experience and is a fantastic teacher.

Vickijay

Visit site
I really enjoyed the videos. Thanks for posting. I love Adam lessons, my friend and I were going to go in a month or so but her horse has just gone lame and its pretty far for me to go it alone!!

milliepops

Visit site
Oh no! What a shame :( I must admit, much as I'm enjoying having the lessons on Armas (& they are so useful!) I really do wish I was able to take Millie too. We're booked onto the 3 day clinic in September and I was hoping she'd be back on the road by then but since we are still only walking in hand it's not looking likely. Next year we'll have to do a HHO meet up with my bay delinquent in tow :)

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
What a lovely quiet rider you are! Your hands are super too :) He really does seem to try for you, even if he sometimes seems to go 'eh? What? Oh yeah!' Really enjoyed the videos :)

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
What a lovely quiet rider you are! Your hands are super too :) He really does seem to try for you, even if he sometimes seems to go 'eh? What? Oh yeah!' Really enjoyed the videos :)

that's very true, hes such an expressive horse you can see him thinking... or should that be plotting lol