supervet

serena2005

Visit site
How far would you go??

I sympathize with these people I really do!
I put a 21 year old horse through colic surgery without fully appreciating the commitment to the 6 months after care.
And to be honest I probably wouldn't do it again. All though his life now is pretty much as it was before the colic.

Do we put our animals through too much because technology is available? Or do they want to live as long as we want them to!?

Controversal I know but when the time comes for my animals I want to know I'm doing the right thing not feeling like I'm giving up on them.

What are your thoughts?

Donnie Darco

Visit site
Hmm - I watch these programmes and often wonder 'how much is too much?'

When I had my old horse Darco pts even though it was the right thing to do, it was like killing my best friend, my head knew it was right - even though it broke my heart.

I remember once a cat was being treated for cancer on one of these programmes, it had radioactive injections and wasn't allowed to be handled for something like 6 weeks? And during this time it was kept at the vets ... I do rem thinking that poor cat.

How can they understand?

But if it was my cat/in that situation - what would I do?

Difficult.

Last edited:

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
I'm not sure I entirely agree with animal prosthetics, just doesn't sit quite right with me..I seem to recall back along seeing something about prosthetic legs for horses? that was something I thought was very much TOO far.

I often feel that we need to shake of the idea that any life is good life, I thin a lot of charities do good but in examples of the horse whose face was completely deformed due to an extremely overly tight headcollar, I think the implications were more than cosmetic and those with deformations that seriously impact upon their lives eg. eating etc.

this probably sounds harsh and I admit I may not be so decided if it was my own.

Wizzkid

Visit site
My friend works there 😃 sorry bit of a pathetic claim to fame but yes I've thought the same it's just too much sometimes.
Although I have asked her the question and she reckons it isn't the norm even though watching the show it does look that way.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
This man has developed a new way to attach false limbs to animals. Not only does this give them a better quality of life post amputation, the method is now being researched for human use. Think of the service personal who may benefit. I agree with older animals there is always a question, which should be answered by the owners and the vet , but his wacky ideas may make both animals and humans have a better life in the future. A few years ago even colic surgery was regarded as going too far. Times change.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I think the program is really to show what CAN be done if owners want to go that far. It's not to say that everyone would want to that. I think it's great that there is a vet who is willing to push the boundaries. It would be good for a program to be done in a couple of years to show how these pets are doing, who have had the prosthetics fitted or had the major spinal surgery. I also watch it because I rather like Mr Fitzpatrick............Mmmmm

serena2005

Visit site
This man has developed a new way to attach false limbs to animals. Not only does this give them a better quality of life post amputation, the method is now being researched for human use. Think of the service personal who may benefit. I agree with older animals there is always a question, which should be answered by the owners and the vet , but his wacky ideas may make both animals and humans have a better life in the future. A few years ago even colic surgery was regarded as going too far. Times change.

You know I totally understand where your coming from! And think his work is amazing and yes he does give the best for the animal and the owner.

I just don't know how I'd feel being that owner.
And the animal not understanding what's going on. It gets to the point of who's playing god these days!

serena2005

Visit site
I think the program is really to show what CAN be done if owners want to go that far. It's not to say that everyone would want to that. I think it's great that there is a vet who is willing to push the boundaries. It would be good for a program to be done in a couple of years to show how these pets are doing, who have had the prosthetics fitted or had the major spinal surgery. I also watch it because I rather like Mr Fitzpatrick............Mmmmm

Haha he is rather lovely!

Yes totally agree with the revisit programs thst would be a true test of his work!

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I think it is personal choice. If you have an animal it is up to you how far you will go. Just like the final decision is your choice too. I have two horses, one young, one old. I would choose to put neither though colic surgery if that came about. I also choose to keep my dog alive, even although the medication is £50 a week. He is happy, my money , my choice. Such is life, I respect other people's choice.and respect this mans drive to improve lives both animals and humans. Weather you would go that far is up too you.

mynutmeg

Visit site
It's something I did have to consider last week (although thankfully it didn't come down to having to make the decision as she didn't need surgery) but I decided that I wouldn't put my mare through a colic surgery, mainly due to the months of box rest following the surgery

Ibblebibble

Visit site
i heard him talking on the radio the other week and he said, just because we can doesn't mean we should and he judges each case with that in mind. I don't have a problem with a prosthetic limb for an animal which can lose one to amputation and still walk, ie dog or cat, for big animals like horses, no.
would i do it for my cats or dogs? No but that is a personal choice.

madmav

Visit site
If the vet is a good one, and the owner is doing it with the animal's best interests at heart, then why not push the boundaries, if you have the money/insurance? But obviously do not put them through hell if there is no quality of life.

serena2005

Visit site
i heard him talking on the radio the other week and he said, just because we can doesn't mean we should and he judges each case with that in mind. I don't have a problem with a prosthetic limb for an animal which can lose one to amputation and still walk, ie dog or cat, for big animals like horses, no.
would i do it for my cats or dogs? No but that is a personal choice.

Yes I think he is very good at giving all the options! Whenever he talks to an owner it is all ways the point of "should we do this because it is beneficial to the animal"
I don't think anyone can fault his intentions. He's definitely animal welfare driven not anything else.

serena2005

Visit site
If the vet is a good one, and the owner is doing it with the animal's best interests at heart, then why not push the boundaries, if you have the money/insurance? But obviously do not put them through hell if there is no quality of life.

Sometimes the owners are blinded by love. Should I have put my horse through surgery? At the time I thought no. But because of the insurance we did.
If he had died on the table he wouldn't have known any different to if he'd been pts before hand. But we'd have felt better for trying.

Fortunately he pulled through then developed a permanent tendon problem only fixable by surgery! Typical eh! So now he's just a field ornament. Which I'm sure he's ok with, but was it all worth months on box rest to get to this point?
Don't get me wrong I love this horse but now he's uninsureable so whatever happens next won't be the case of is it best for him. It will be a case of not affording the vet bill. Which is just an awful situation.