Supplement advice

vicm2509

Visit site
Can anyone reccomend a good all round supplement to give my horse that doesnt cost the earth?

He is currently on the soaked oats diet so has oats, alfa oil and sugar beet. To this I add biotin, garlic, salt (he wont use his salt lick) and im thinking of adding general vits and minerals.

Is there a supplement that will condition his feet, skin and give him his vits and minerals aswell? Preferably one that contains probiotics also.

miamibear

Visit site
I would suggest a feed balancer like Topspec, it seems expensive when you first buy a bag but it lasts ages. It has biotin for feet, MSM for joints, stuff for digestion (dont know if its probiotics), stuff for immune system, general vits and minerals and stuff for coat and skin, and stuff for muscle retention.

Have a read on website, its transformed my horse!

Baileysno1

Visit site
Topspec Balancer would work out under £1 a day and I would really rate it. Mines on a basic feed plus the topspec and I haven't had to give him anything else his coat looks lovely too!

vicm2509

Visit site
Is the Pink Powder not for horses prone to stress? I was looking at it in my feed shop the other day and from what I read thats the conclusion I came to. Maybe I understood it wrong. My horse is really quite laid back and lazy so I dont want to make him even more so. Please correct me if im wrong though.

Ive just been looking at the Topspec supplement and that seems quite good. Are there any good online shops to get it from?

dressagecrazy

Visit site
Topspec is brilliant had my horses on it for 10 months now and can really see a differance in there overall condition.

Just to add i thought for Boitin to work you had to add other things like zinc and copper, methionine ect i think ive got that right ( holds hands up if wrong lol)
wink.gif
I have noticed considerable differance in my horses hooves though since swapping to Topspec even my farrier comented.

vicm2509

Visit site
I just looked up the one I use and realised it has all that stuff in it already. Its the equimins one and it says "With Zinc, Methionine, Calcium and Copper".

Barons feet went really cracked in the summer. I started adding it to his feed and when the farrier next visited he commented on how much better they looked. After 3 months he has no cracks at all
smile.gif

I really think I will give the topspec a go. Seems all that have used it think its worth while. He is in good condition at the moment so hopefully this will help him keep it over the winter.

vicm2509

Visit site
So will the pink powder give him all the vitamins and minerals he needs? That is my main concern but I would also like something that will keep his feet in good condition too. It is a lot cheaper than the topspec so if it does the job I may try this instead.

vicm2509

Visit site
Actually it seems the topspec works out cheaper (depending on how much I need to used I suppose). Topspec is £24.30 for 4 kg and Pink Powder is £20.99 for 1.4kg

KatB

Visit site
Topspec comprehensive supplement is basically the balancer in powder form, so you can feed it alongside existing diet without adding calories.

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Actually it seems the topspec works out cheaper (depending on how much I need to used I suppose). Topspec is £24.30 for 4 kg and Pink Powder is £20.99 for 1.4kg

[/ QUOTE ]

Think you'd still find the Pink Powder cheaper.The above 1.4kg should last a good couple of months
smile.gif

vicm2509

Visit site
Arrrgggghhhh, I really cant decide which one to go for now! Ive checked the NAF website and it seems the pink powder contains more or less the same as the topspec, and both have the biotin in for his feet.

Clodagh

Visit site
Just remember its possible to over supplement too!
I use Pegasus vits/mins, really rate them. At work we feed Feedmarks benevit, thats good too.
I used to use Pink Powder as a additive for my stressy mare who wouldn't eat, I don't use it day to day? I think it does both, though.

vicm2509

Visit site
I dont think I will be over supplementing, he only gets soaked oats, alfa oil and sugar beet and some carrots. And added to this will be the supplement I finally decide to buy and I will then stop feeding the biotin. He is on grass in the day and gets hay at night.

As he doesnt get a mix (he is much better on the soaked oats diet that a mix) I wanted to add a suplement throughout the winter as come next month the fields will end up boggy with quite poor grass and I just want to make sure he gets everything he needs.

Clodagh

Visit site
Didn't mean to sound bossy
blush.gif
...I know someone who feeds pink powder and biotin and vits/mins...the horse must rattle!
tongue.gif

vicm2509

Visit site
You didnt sound bossy, its ok I just wanted to make it clear why I was wanting to supplement incase it sounded like I was adding things willy nilly
smile.gif