supplement/balancer/nothing?

B22

Visit site
i have a 13hh cob - 8 yr old - who can be a bit lacking in consistency and oomph.
fairly fit and does a variety of hacking / schooling / jumping / fun rides.

considering balancer but then wondering about supplement that could go in small amount of chaff instead.

no weight gain wanted. currently muzzled to restrict grazing. barefoot

have previously used oats but not currently giving a feed as not wanting additional weight gain.

have looked at few similar posts on this page and would welcome anyones thoughs / experiences.

understand it may be trial and error.

current ideas/options
- reintroduce oats
or
- introduce balancer
or
- add supplement

many thanks

Horse2018

Visit site
I would feed a balancer because it chapter than buying supplements .I would not use oats because of the weight gain.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I use Equimins Advance, you can get powder or pellets. Its the best spec for the lowest price that I can find and its made a big difference to the quality of my mares feet :)

Shay

Visit site
Although a balencer or general supplement might be a good general idea - you want to feed something to add "consistency and oomph"? I'm not certain you can achieve that. A general vit / min supplement would probably be a good deia - but whether you use a balencer (watch out for the ones which are all rubbish and filler...) or a supplement is really personal choice. But you are going to get consistency and oomph from schooling and increased fitness - especially for a good do-er cob. They need more energy from feed - but you have to up their workload to make sure it goes to fitness and not weight gain.

B22

Visit site
thanks for your replies. i have ordered the equimins advance.

‘leo walker’ i looked into this previously from another post you have commented on and like you say spec wise it does seem better then some of the others out there. a lot don’t list contents and to me this is a no no. it also suits as concentrated and only having to feed small amounts.

yes i dont expect this be a miracle product but i feel more reassured she will be getting want she needs in order for me to ask more. i see this as a starting point and should something need to be added later i can re-evalute then.

a few years ago i attended a weight clinic by one of the larger feed companies. at the time they recommended a vit/min lick altho a lot of these seems to be full of molasses and no way to regulate quantities consumed. workload has changed since then but definately not wanting to add more than i need - fit not fat is the aim.

fingers crossed she doesn’t dislike it like some others have found!

thanks again

bubsqueaks

Visit site
we use Equimins Advance Pellet too - fab
Also are you adding salt to diet & electrolytes if really sweaty as our cob is as that make a difference in their oomph!