Supplement for arthritis.

Mari

Visit site
My Warmblood x Thoroughbred has arthritis in his neck & shoulders. He is retired so just looking for something to keep him more comfortable. What trued & tested supplements do people use & recommend?

holeymoley

Visit site
Cheap one but Maxavita Maxaflex gets good reviews. I fed it a few years ago and put my boy back on it, too early to see results though.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Boswellia fed neat is tried and tested but do watch your horse for signs of grumpiness as its known to cause headache and stomach upsets. Mine couldn't take it.

For branded stuff I would go for 4Cyte, which has been tested, and with which I saw great results in removing inflammation. It looks expensive but the dose rate is tiny, so it isn't.

Surbie

Visit site
I've got my 18yo on boswellia and devil's claw. I don't have an arthritis diagnosis, but I've noticed a marked improvement since feeding devils claw alongside the boswellia on the last couple of months.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’m using 4Cyte at the moment on a horse who was very stiff behind.
I’ve done the loading and would say I’m about 3/4 weeks on it now.
I didn’t really think there was any change but I did notice out walking yesterday he was actually using his hocks rather than kind of a whole leg swing and very little bend, so I’m pretty pleased with that 🤞

meleeka

Visit site
For branded stuff I would go for 4Cyte, which has been tested, and with which I saw great results in removing inflammation. It looks expensive but the dose rate is tiny, so it isn't.
I’ve never heard of this, but it could be answer to my prayers. My old girl won’t eat anything in her feed, so being able to syringe it is wonderful.

ycbm

Visit site
I’ve never heard of this, but it could be answer to my prayers. My old girl won’t eat anything in her feed, so being able to syringe it is wonderful.

I had never heard of it but was recommended it on here by a US vet for Charlie. I looked it up and found that there was some pretty good research for its effectiveness long term, with improvement in cartilage health still being seen 12 months in.

The pack looks expensive but the normal dose is only 4ml, and as you say, syringed in so you know they've got it. And such a tiny amount that you can stick it on their tongue or round their gums if they really hate it.

Mine didn't like the taste but he got used to it enough to take it with no fuss.

Shop around, there are big differences in price for the big pack.

meesha

Visit site
Cartrophen, 4 injections a week apart then one every 6 months. Has made a huge difference to my retired pony. Not a supplement but poss cheaper over a long period.

SEL

Visit site
CBD from Hempine has been a game changer for one of mine - pricey though.

The pony has responded well to bozmerix but the price of that has almost doubled since I first started using it. She didn't do well on just boswellia but bozmerix has worked well enough for me to stick with it.

Devils claw is banned in competition so absolutely works.

ThreeFurs

Visit site
Went to a vet talk at a dressage barn a while back and learned that Cartrophen and 4Cyte can work together really well. They have different but complementary actions, she said? I know taken together they both helped keep my old now retired wb moving comfortably, and competing, into his early 20s. If I had to pick one though it would be the Cartrophen [Pentosan here in Oz]. My old chap, now rising 28, is still on the occasional injection of it to keep him paddock sound. I started giving it to him at around 16 to 17 y o when some pastern arthritits started to cause trouble. I've noticed for years how he's visibly more fluent in his stride up to a couple of weeks after the injection.

ycbm

Visit site
Went to a vet talk at a dressage barn a while back and learned that Cartrophen and 4Cyte can work together really well. They have different but complementary actions, she said? I know taken together they both helped keep my old now retired wb moving comfortably, and competing, into his early 20s. If I had to pick one though it would be the Cartrophen [Pentosan here in Oz]. My old chap, now rising 28, is still on the occasional injection of it to keep him paddock sound. I started giving it to him at around 16 to 17 y o when some pastern arthritits started to cause trouble. I've noticed for years how he's visibly more fluent in his stride up to a couple of weeks after the injection.

This was actually what I was recommended. I think the vet was US, so it seems a well regarded combination outside the UK, where I've never heard it mentioned.

ThreeFurs

Visit site
This was actually what I was recommended. I think the vet was US, so it seems a well regarded combination outside the UK, where I've never heard it mentioned.
it was a combo I stumbled into, but the value of it was just confirmed, a while ago now, by a vet, Holly Lewis, who mainly does racehorses in Morphettville in SA.

Smogul

Visit site

My pony has been on it now for several years after vet recommended it. Made a big difference. Now also had Cartrophen injections so possibly catching on in UK?