Supplement or what? Not really sure what I am looking for.....

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Some of you may have seen my post in weekend plans about Maddie's extreme reaction to her flu/tet vaccination. She also managed to kick herself in the field last year and had a swelling on the inside of her right fore cannon bone for weeks (all scanned and no ligament/tendon injury and even vet was surprised at how long swelling remained). In addition to this she has several tiny lumps from old fly bites etc. that have just never gone away. I am thinking that she could do with some sort of supplement/remedy etc. that I can feed her just to help support her lymph system? immune system? reduce inflammation generally? She's clearly a sensitive little mare, and I just want to help her out. Whatever I feed her would need to be clean from a competing point of view. A little further info which I was told about when I bought her - when she was much younger, she had some sort of unexplained virus - loads of tests done and several months off did the trick, but apparently she was quite poorly for a while so her 'sensitivity' isn't something new. She had bloods run recently due to the vaccination reaction to check it wasn't an infection, and nothing untoward there.

Edited to say, I would like some science behind anything I give her, but herbal remedies would be fine. Just nothing homeopathic etc.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions..... :)

Last edited:

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Thanks, I will check that out. Was that for a similar sort of issue?
It was for an older tb that had a run of bad luck. Bit colicky, cut his foot quite badly ( which I think started it all). Everything just seemed to get to him. I used echinacea and he seemed to come round.

Trouper

Visit site
It might be worth calling Trinity Consultants to see if they have something suitable - they're really helpful and knowledgeable: https://trinity-consultants.com

I hope she's back to being 100% soon!
Absolutely second this - Trinity consultants are great at talking you through it all and are so knowledgeable. Much better than taking a stab in the dark on what might work for what sounds as if it might be a bit of a legacy condition. Hope you get some help.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have a similar problem with Louis his last 2 jabs have been awful, last year he got a swelling on his chest like a melon and he couldn't walk the next day and it took weeks to go down.

This year I gave him bute before and after and although he did get a swelling he could still walk, but the jab was done in January and his still got a lump on the injection site.

I have tried several different brands of vaccination but he still has some sort of reaction, my vet said she is going to inject him with bute next time.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Thanks everyone for your replies.....

I would make sure she has broad spectrum vits and mins balancer like Progressive Earth pro-balance. I might also add a gut balancer like Protexin. I’d also feed micronised linseed which is fantastic for coat and condition.

She's on Equimins Advance Complete pellets for the vits/mins, plus pink mash which covers off both the protexin and micronised linseed. Generally she's in fine fettle -I just want to help her out a bit for when things out of the ordinary happen. This was her ungroomed today, a fair shine to her coat even though it is currently coming out in handfuls and her summer coat coming through underneath. She still has mud/dust on her neck from rolling yesterday. Excuse the mid chomp facial expression.

277972269_352189810039236_3028259375676199776_n.jpg

It might be worth calling Trinity Consultants to see if they have something suitable - they're really helpful and knowledgeable: https://trinity-consultants.com

I hope she's back to being 100% soon!

Absolutely second this - Trinity consultants are great at talking you through it all and are so knowledgeable. Much better than taking a stab in the dark on what might work for what sounds as if it might be a bit of a legacy condition. Hope you get some help.

Thank you both, I will look into Trinity. She's pretty much back to normal now, but I am trying to help her in advance for the next time.

Have a look at Immuno RS, friend of mine used it as an immune booster after a course of steroids and seemed to have a nice 'bloom' after a month or so

Thanks - will check it out.

I have a similar problem with Louis his last 2 jabs have been awful, last year he got a swelling on his chest like a melon and he couldn't walk the next day and it took weeks to go down.

This year I gave him bute before and after and although he did get a swelling he could still walk, but the jab was done in January and his still got a lump on the injection site.

I have tried several different brands of vaccination but he still has some sort of reaction, my vet said she is going to inject him with bute next time.

She had bute before and after, and still ended up with the swelling, but was very similar to Louis by the sound of it. The timing wasn't great either as it was in the middle of the very high winds, so turnout was more limited. That said I hand walked her (that was exciting!!) as I was very conscious that movement was needed to help shift the swelling. I am going to see if she can have the tet separately next time.

Last edited:

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
The only thing I’d say to Pink Mash containing both Protexin and linseed is that unless you feed a full ration it might not be the optimum amount. I’ve fed it before but added additional linseed to my oldies ration.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
The only thing I’d say to Pink Mash containing both Protexin and linseed is that unless you feed a full ration it might not be the optimum amount. I’ve fed it before but added additional linseed to my oldies ration.

Thanks, that’s a good point. I just did a quick check as it’s a while since I did my original calculations of what to feed her. She’s on around 135g per 100kg so above the maintenance level. That’s a winter ration. Once the grass comes in I will drop by around 25% so that’s still at maintenance level.

Attachments

• 6FD8823C-EDA6-46E4-8171-857E9C747CE4.jpeg
    6FD8823C-EDA6-46E4-8171-857E9C747CE4.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 1