Supplements for immunity?

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
Hi there you guys, I wondered if anyone feeds or has fed a supplement which aids the immune system? I think I ought to get one for my mare, as we had to call the vet out for the second time this week today... The horse in question is only six, we went XC last saturday and its been a nightmare since, she was very sore last sunday, crippled in trot by monday, called vet tuesday and was diagnosed with mud fever. The scabs were not bad, but she was very sensitive to touch and obviously in a lot of pain in trot. Antibiotics were prescribed. Funny enough she is stabled 24/7, isn't washed regularly and doesn't sweat much, so we were a bit baffled as the vet thought that it had been brewing for longer than 4 days but only just scabbed up. Either way now the scabs are healing and no longer so sensitive, but she's been depressed all week, barely eating or moving and her legs have been filling. In an attempt to get her moving, and the vet had told us to carry on exercising as normal, we saddled up for the first time all week and went for a short ride, I actually got of half way round, she's so not herself and really the walking was the beneficial thing not the riding. Anyway, 15 mins later when we get back to the yard and untack, there's a huge (1" deep at least) trough where the girth had been. Upon inspection, her whole stomach is filled with fluid. It really was strange to look at, so we get the trusty thermometer out and yes a temp of 39C. :( I felt so bad, poorly girl, so vet was called (why is it always a sunday when we need an emergency call?) So several needles later and a new temp of 39.5C :( , she's now been diagnosed with a systemic infection but is a little more comfortable. The thing is she seems to be quite prone to infection, she's had viral/bacterial infections in the past, though never mud fever, even in her 24/7 turnout days.

Anyway back to the question in hand,. is there anything I can feed to boost her immune system, she's going to be a lousy competition horse if she gets ill every time she goes somewhere... Plus I'm kinda sick of looking at her depressed face, poor girly she has been known for her drama queen antics in the past, but she's really feeling it this time.

I'm looking for supplements on a budget however, the mud fever vet recomended immunall, but from what I can gather that could cost £70 a month, so any more pocket friendly but effective alternatives?

Hope you can help,
EC

texel

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your mare. Before reaching for a 'magical' supplement, it might be an idea to review the complete package so to speak, feed, management, exercise etc.

Supplements do have a place but they are not always the answer.

What are you feeding at the moment ?

You say she is always prone to infections ? and she used to be turned out 24/7 but not now ?

Echinacea is an excellent herb for the immune system there are a few natural horse suppliers you can purchase it from.

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
I'd go back to basics. A horse stabled 24/7 is going to be stressed and unhappy even if she hides it well. Chronic unhappiness will lower the immune system. The only immune booster necessary is good, horse-friendly management, ie, as much turnout with company as possible, feed appropriate to her workload and breed, as much good quality fibre as you can get in her and a vits/mins supplement if she's not getting the right stuff from her feed or grazing.

claribella

Visit site
Whilst I agree with the others who have said going back to basics with more turn out etc, I would also highly recommend naturalhorsesupplies. The are an online company who I have always found very helpful with natural supplements.

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
What are you feeding at the moment ?

You say she is always prone to infections ? and she used to be turned out 24/7 but not now ?
Hey there,
She's fed ad lib haylage, with working nuts at the recomended levels with a garlic/mint supplement. She has had a mixed viral/bacterial respiratory infection in the past as well as rainscald and she was very poor when I initially purchased her as a youngster. The respiratory infection was just limited to her, no other horses on the yard were affected (no others cooughing etc...) , again this time it is only her showing any sign of infection. She just seems more vulnerable than the others. Unfortunately the area i live has few yards who offer turnout, the current yard is 24/7 stabling through winter.
Echinacea, naf do a liquid one, is it effective?

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
You could try the NAF D-Tox, to help with detox the body.

Hope she recovers soon.

Thanks, I hope so too, she's currently channelling her inner Eeyore, definitely not the life and soul of the party.
I nearly picked up some D-Tox the other day but got some pink powder instead, might have to go back and reconsider, lol.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Depending on why you need it I would make sure you know exactly why your mare needs imunity boost .

Well I think the best places for supplements apart from Equimins is Trinity Consultants. They make ready made detox liver aids also immune the lot , They make supplements from the ground up Tailor made for your horse they come with your name and horses name printed in the label very smart. but they are top leading in the country

Give them a call they are very good

http://trinity-consultants.com/
personally I don't think I could be budget if my horses is ill what ever she needs she gets .

this should be within your budget

http://www.equimins-online.com/all-products/39-equimins-echinacea-herbs.html
http://www.equimins-online.com/all-products/38-equimins-echinacea-liquid-herb.html
my mare is on gawds knows ££ per week

formula 4feet
flexijoint
soya oil
founderguard

and thats just her specials stuff for her lami
I am not loaded but would rather do without something for myself that short change something my horse needs

Last edited:

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
I'd go back to basics. A horse stabled 24/7 is going to be stressed and unhappy even if she hides it well. Chronic unhappiness will lower the immune system. The only immune booster necessary is good, horse-friendly management, ie, as much turnout with company as possible, feed appropriate to her workload and breed, as much good quality fibre as you can get in her and a vits/mins supplement if she's not getting the right stuff from her feed or grazing.

Although I agree that 24/7 turnout is preferable, where I live at the moment offers few opportunities to do this. All the horses on the yard are stabled (30+). She doesn't seem to miss going out, I suppose thats because being in is the norm now, she does go out in the pen for a little while each day but thats not really much of a substitute, she just stands waiting to come back in for her haylage. I wouldn't say she is unhappy, she happily goes into her box, likes her neighbours and has a never ending supply of haylage. I believe that the physically demanding exercise last sunday has caused her immune system to dip. She's schooled 4 times week, with hacking and lunging on the other days, so approximately light to medium workload, which is why she has the working nuts (she's in good condition, hasn't dropped weight over winter but isn't portly either) . She receives her evening meal in a feed ball, which keeps her busy for a while. I don't know how I could improve her management in the present situation?

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
Depending on why you need it I would make sure you know exactly why your mare needs imunity boost .

Well I think the best places for supplements apart from Equimins is Trinity Consultants. They make ready made detox liver aids also immune the lot , They make supplements from the ground up Tailor made for your horse they come with your name and horses name printed in the label very smart. but they are top leading in the country

I'm waiting for her blood results today, so I should get an idea of her WBC count, albeit raised from infection... The vet recommended an immunity supplement, unfortunately the one in question is rather pricey... I've used trinity in the past for other horses, will have to give them a call and see what they suggest. Cheers :)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

Are you generalizing or saying all horses are going to be stressed?

As you know mine has been on box rest 24/7 since july she is not stressed hasnt been - mentally this is, she is calm loving eats well I have cctv now in there ,I watch her and she is by no means stressed .

I think it depends on the horse- its temperament- ability to accept the box rest without stressing and how the horse is managed

as in toys
stimulus, non of which my horse can have on lami but her treats are massage with massage pad etc grooming etc.

all of which play an important part

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I'm waiting for her blood results today, so I should get an idea of her WBC count, albeit raised from infection... The vet recommended an immunity supplement, unfortunately the one in question is rather pricey... I've used trinity in the past for other horses, will have to give them a call and see what they suggest. Cheers :)

Vets do have their own supplements they sell mine does too which is pricier than others.

I swear by Equimins David there is ACE knows everything in his field he is very helpful. He has helped too many times I have lost count.
I would chat to him too can't hurt to do some homework while you are waiting for bloods.:D

on the WBC my livery has had a shock her mares white cell count was 33 000:eek: they dont know why she has to do another in a weeks time

Last edited:

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
personally I don't think I could be budget if my horses is ill what ever she needs she gets

formula 4feet
flexijoint
soya oil
founderguard

I am not loaded but would rather do without something for myself that short change something my horse needs

I'm a student in my third year at uni, I already live of value supernoodles and work more hours than I should, so unfortunately I can't free up any more money for things that aren't essential. If the vet had said that I 'must' get a supplement for her health, hands down I would get it immediately, but currently it is more of a holistic approach to preventing anything else arising in future. When I asked him why she had more infections than the others, he said that it was just her age, being young and having a relatively naive immune system, nothing categorically wrong diagnosed as yet.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I'm a student in my third year at uni, I already live of value supernoodles and work more hours than I should, so unfortunately I can't free up any more money for things that aren't essential. If the vet had said that I 'must' get a supplement for her health, hands down I would get it immediately, but currently it is more of a holistic approach to preventing anything else arising in future. When I asked him why she had more infections than the others, he said that it was just her age, being young and having a relatively naive immune system, nothing categorically wrong diagnosed as yet.

tough isnt it :)

Then in your case I would jot down all the recommended products for immune like the ones i listed. jot down on spread sheet
the names
the make
the price

Then also make a poll list of these supplements , here asking H&H readers to click on which they have had gr8 results from then you can review the poll baised on success. then check prices against your spread sheet . Then choose which one is success and cost effective:D

Last edited:

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
tough isnt it :)

Then in your case I would jot down all the recommended products for immune like the ones i listed. jot down on spread sheet
the names
the make
the price

Then also make a poll list of these supplements , here asking H&H readers to click on which they have had gr8 results from then you can review the poll baised on success. then check prices against your spread sheet . Then choose which one is success and cost effective:D

Yes :) but I wouldn't part with her for the world, love my little horse.
You must do statistics, lol that sounds like a very detailed plan. When I am looking for a procrastination exercise later to put off some dissertation writing I will have a go :D
For know, back to the yard to check beastie and meet the vet, fingers crossed she's more cheery this morning.

wench

Visit site
I have used the global herbs immuplus - not sure if it helped my horse or not, but certainly didnt do any harm.

I have also used eccinacia on myself. Again, not sure if it did work, but I certainly didn't get as many colds as I was doing previously.

Mud fever can come on very quickly. My horse went out one morning, and came back in the evening with a huge puffed up leg and lame. Vet came out, and prescribed antibiotics. When the swelling all went down, he had a very thin cut on his leg. What I think had happened was the mud fever bacteria had got into the cut, and infected it badly.

team barney

Visit site
I have used Rosehips to good effect. They are cheap, I've never met a horse who turned his/her nose up at them, and they seem to work well in my experience.

becca1305

Visit site
I'm not entirely sure of monthly costs, but global herbs immuplus is amazing. Worked wonders with my boy. I'm currently weaning him off it onto just their TB calmer which contains the same two main immune support ingredients but in a slightly lower concentration. I talked it through with them over the phone as they have a couple of calmer options and I had a few other queries and she was really helpful :). Hes been on the immuplus since Autumn after looking really dull and down in himself and getting a virus. He's been bright eyed and happy since starting it and when I weaned him completely off it about 2 weeks later he had a bad skin infection which he had to have antibiotics for. I put him back on it at the low maintenance dose and he's been fine ever since. He seems to be getting on well with the calmer too, seems a bit more relaxed in himself grazing independently in the field which he never used to do, and less spooky to hack :). I'm hoping the calmer will be the perfect long term solution to his needs. So far I'm really impressed.

PooJay

Visit site

personally I don't think I could be budget if my horses is ill what ever she needs she gets .

this should be within your budget

http://www.equimins-online.com/all-products/39-equimins-echinacea-herbs.html
http://www.equimins-online.com/all-products/38-equimins-echinacea-liquid-herb.html

formula 4feet
flexijoint
soya oil
founderguard

Another vote for Trinity, been using them for 7 years now and wouldn't go anywhere else. Roger is the uber scientist when it comes to ponios. :)