Suppleness exercises

StowfordPress

Visit site
My new lad is very one sided so looking for some suppleness exercises to try with him. The more fun and engaging the better as he likes to be busy and gets bored easily!
TIA

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
just check it is him being one sided and not you....my horse was crooked and i couldnt correct her until i had corrected myself as i was crooked as well.

i would do leg yielding both ways, lots of circles spiralling down and out, shoulder in and quarters in on the long side and also on the circle. on the floor you can do carrot stretches both ways and also you can teach him to bend from the ground

Cob Life

Visit site
spiralling in and out on a circle, start in walk and move up to trot etc.
Shallow loops
Trot poles/raised poles on a circle
Leg yields and shoulder in if he can.

Mine was very stiff to start with and I have had to teach him to leg yield and shoulder in but they are the most useful tool I have if he's having a tense day as he has to focus more

Goldenstar

Visit site
I use leg yield from the track to the quarter line then counter shoulder in then shallow baby half pass back to the track

Leandy

Visit site
All the above, and concentrate on maintaining an even consistent contact and an even bend on each rein, the same each way. And make sure the horse is evenly between hand and leg and that you can go forwards and straight again at any time. Whether the crookedness is in fact you or him or both, circles, loops, serpentines and then lateral work will help you (a) get more even and (b) have the tools to sort it out.

StowfordPress

Visit site
Thanks for all suggestions. Don’t think it’s me as a couple of others have sat on him and had the same problem. He doesn’t know any lateral work bless him he’s very babyish at the moment!