Surely this is dangerous??

melv1lle

sams-progress.blogspot.com
Just after people's thoughts really - the livery yard where I keep my horse has a large gallops track that goes round the outside of some of the fields. It has no floodlighting and runs alongside hedges, a school and then by the road at the bottom (although big hedge in between). Anyway last night I was in the school with my lad (which is floodlit) when two of the other owners came cantering past on the track together. Now as it was 7pm at the time and pitch black they nearly gave my horse a heart attack (he is pretty highly strung at the best of times
smirk.gif
) and he did a couple of spectacular leaps around. After he calmed down it did get me thinking though - surely it can't be safe to ride around a pitch black gallops especially if you are going to do it at a canter. What do people think
confused.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
I wouldnt. What happened if you didnt notice something like a ground change or something, they could trip. Or something like a branch having fallen on the track which the horse would happily jump but may surprise the rider if they cant see it!

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
as romantic as it might seem definitely a bad idea. accidents in terrain, - god there are enough risks in daylight with things jumping around. Not worth it!!

Pasha

Visit site
Before last night i would have said it's fine - but my boy tripped in our floodlit school and nearly sent me into the fence last night, so defo no riding in the dark for me!!

Chex

Visit site
Horses can see in the dark (they certainly gallop around the field by themselves in the dark!). I still be worried though, even if the horse could see a fallen branch and darted round it, I'd probably land on it! If I walked the gallops first then I might, or if the moon was bright and illuminating it.

pottamus

Visit site
It is not something I would do but each to their own I guess. I think it might be good practice at your yard to have a rota up and when people are using the gallops to note down the time so everyone else is aware too...given the proximity of the gallops to the school etc.
I think my horse would have leapt around too if someone had come galloping by in the dark!!!

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
No thanks, my horses maybe able to see well enough when they have time to. YO is redoing the fencing (so there are posts up but no fencing) & Mo went through the only bit still up at 6am yesterday! Luckly it was the electric gate & it came undone. The gate has been there 2yrs & she was not stressed but still she picked the wrong section.

KateStartin

Visit site
Horses have quite different vision to us. They have different amounts of rods and cones making their vision at night much better than ours but they don't have as much clarity of vision as us in the bright daylight. They also have a thing called a tapetum at the back of their eye which reflects whatever light there is back to further improve their night vision.

filly190

Visit site
I would'nt ride in the dark. Horses night vision is very good, however with a rider on their backs, their sense's are impaired meaning the rider is taking control of the sitution. The blind leading the sighted. As the horse trusts the rider who has no night vision as such, the horse would not quickly get itself out of trouble, relying on the rider to be giving direction.

Skhosu

Visit site
I have ridden in dark menages before. I would walk round the track first, but then I'd be happy enough to canter round as I know horses can see better and realistacally I feel a lot of the time I can see well enough to see whats in front of me..

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
I dont think it is so irresponsible to ride a known track in the dark but it is if you are coming out of the dark whilst people are trying to school. The owners were irresponsible, in a way that they did not notify you or anyone using the school of what they were doing.

Horses have an amazing sense of sight and self preservation no matter what the climate/time/terrain ect is like.

best wishes
Dawn