Suspected sarcoid

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Just thought I’d get some opinions from everyone on a horse I went to see. Horse is rising 3, lesion is about the size of a pea and on the under side of the breast, between the forelegs.

8A323D22-192F-4B67-ABCE-0E6B7CD47890.jpeg

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Definite sarcoid imo, good place because there's plenty of skin and muscle to take it away safely. Bad, aggressive type, already bleeding and angry, and it needs a LOT knocking off the price because it may take more than one attempt to kill it, and you'll never be able to insure for sarcoid cover.

If you go ahead, go over the horse with a fine tooth comb for any other marks, pips, 'flybites' and circles of a different colour in the hair, because multiples are a whole different game to a single one.

irishdraft

Visit site
Yes it's definitely a sarcoid my gelding gets this type it's nodular but has ulcerated . I tend to band them sometimes they come back other times they don't. The horse is the right age for them to start appearing so yes go over him with a fine tooth comb although that's no guarantee more won't appear.

windand rain

Visit site
my lad had a similar thing in his armpit it was banded as a three year old and has never reappeared he is 14 this year

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Banding does not always kill them, they often have roots. They can be A LOT bigger than they look when you kill them. I have had three banded sarcoids with very big roots which spread out like starfish over several inches.

There looks to me as if there is a perfect circle in the hair at least an inch wide around this one. My guess is that all that will have to go to get rid of it.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I would not go ahead with the purchase. I mentioned on your other thread that I have had a lot of heartache with lumps on my grey and most of them were not sarcoids (or melanomas... yet) and I had owned her for about five years before they first showed up. So a completely different scenario as she was already mine and I adore her. However I would not buy potential trouble like that, enough things can go wrong without starting with a problem.

Puzzled

Visit site
I’d get the vet to remove it ASAP if you decide to purchase. It wouldn’t put me off but I’d make sure the horse is getting plenty of the correct vitamins and minerals if it isn’t already.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
That happened to me a couple of years ago made worse by the fact I had asked about 3 times if the horse had any sarcoids & the seller was someone quite high up in the ID society so stupidly expected honesty.

That’s awful! To be fair, I didn’t specifically ask although I asked about vet history and said I would vet. I do think the owner was surprised by it. I just wish they’d checked her properly before I drove all that way. It took me about two minutes with the horse to find it.