Suspensory Branch Injury

Dufus

Hi, my horse was kicked in September and sustained a fracture to her splint bone and injury to the lower suspensory and outer suspensory branch , she is still lame and still on box rest although walking in hand 10 mins per day.

She was scanned 21/12/18 and it's still showing an enlarged suspensory.

I'm tempted to turn her away for 6-12 months and see if it heals with time however she does have recurring swelling of the suspensory so I'm unsure if the vet will agree to turning her away.

Does anyone else have a similar experience and what did you do? How long did it take for your horse to come sound if they came sound at all? As long as she is field sound and can live the rest of her life as a field ornament I will be happy as right now the likelihood of being ridden again seems impossible.

Thank you

Shooting Star

Not quite the same as yours but similar. Mine had a hind suspensory branch injury which we box rested until I was forced to turn out due to cellulitis at I think about the 6 week point (vet & I both scratching head on where that come from on box rest).

Initially did a few weeks in a small paddock, removed shoes and then I moved yards and properly turned away 24/7, he came good quite quickly in terms of visible lameness probably 2-3 months but I gave him a full year off. He has been problem free from that injury ever since - I suspect in part due to going barefoot as it quickly became apparent that the shoeing had probably a contributory factor in the original issue.

Same horse also fractured splint bone on a different leg a few years before (did that a few weeks after starting turnout from box rest for another injury by doing handbrake turns in the sick paddock 😏).
That one also healed fine and although the suspensory scanned clear at the time it is definitely marginally thickened so must also have been injured. Again though we’ve had no Issues relating to the it either since it healed 🙂

Dufus

Not quite the same as yours but similar. Mine had a hind suspensory branch injury which we box rested until I was forced to turn out due to cellulitis at I think about the 6 week point (vet & I both scratching head on where that come from on box rest).

Initially did a few weeks in a small paddock, removed shoes and then I moved yards and properly turned away 24/7, he came good quite quickly in terms of visible lameness probably 2-3 months but I gave him a full year off. He has been problem free from that injury ever since - I suspect in part due to going barefoot as it quickly became apparent that the shoeing had probably a contributory factor in the original issue.

Same horse also fractured splint bone on a different leg a few years before (did that a few weeks after starting turnout from box rest for another injury by doing handbrake turns in the sick paddock 😏).
That one also healed fine and although the suspensory scanned clear at the time it is definitely marginally thickened so must also have been injured. Again though we’ve had no Issues relating to the it either since it healed 🙂
Thank you for your reply and sorry for my late one but it's been a manic week and going back and forth with vet and decisions but I'm going to turn her away and give her 12 months off and keep everything crossed she heals. I'm worried to death about it as never turned a horse away to the elements before and not ticked them up cosy in their stable in winter but I know she's a horse and a fluffy fat one at that and probably doesn't worry about the rain and wind like I do but I just hope it works and means no more prodding and poking for her and box rest and everything else and she gets to just be a horse 😊

Shooting Star

Thank you for your reply and sorry for my late one but it's been a manic week and going back and forth with vet and decisions but I'm going to turn her away and give her 12 months off and keep everything crossed she heals. I'm worried to death about it as never turned a horse away to the elements before and not ticked them up cosy in their stable in winter but I know she's a horse and a fluffy fat one at that and probably doesn't worry about the rain and wind like I do but I just hope it works and means no more prodding and poking for her and box rest and everything else and she gets to just be a horse 😊
Good luck and hope she heals well for you - if you turn out in a herd be prepared to have to deal with a horse that believes it’s been returned to the wild when it’s time to start working again though 😆. I worried the same as you but really shouldn’t have, I’ve never seen my horse so happy and decided to keep on 24/7 turnout and without shoe even after the injury had healed.

Dufus

Good luck and hope she heals well for you - if you turn out in a herd be prepared to have to deal with a horse that believes it’s been returned to the wild when it’s time to start working again though 😆. I worried the same as you but really shouldn’t have, I’ve never seen my horse so happy and decided to keep on 24/7 turnout and without shoe even after the injury had healed.

Thank you, I've literally posted a thread and then seen your reply about how worried I am and will she survive! Lol. I do feel that it's the best thing for her to make a recovery and have some down time however I'm sure it's right for me and my worrying lol