Suspensory ligament injury

CBFan

Visit site
I've been offered the ride of a mare who has previously been lame due to a suspensory ligament injury. I don't know a hell of a lot more about it but will find out more when I speak to the owner. From what I gather she has been told that the mare can be used for hacking only - I'm taking this to mean that she will never compete at a high level (or perhaps any level) but just wanted to get your thoughts...

I don't really want to divulge information on the mare on here as I don't know whos reading but re the mares age, I'd say she was 'in her prime'.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of such an injury and could tell me what sort of prognosis there is for recovery with regards to the type of work she could potentially do.

I have initially been aproached to hack this mare but was just wondering if I could bring her back into work successfully out hacking, whether I could ask a bit more of her in the school??... the only reason being I would really like to start having some lessons again on something that I can progress with. when I say ask a little bit more I mean literally just everyday schooling, nothing special, more for my benefit (perfect my position for starters!) than the horse if that makes sense?

I currently share another mare, who in all honesty isn't up to much (due to reoccurring lameness, her age and generally bad habbits that she has gotten away with her whole life!) who I have considered giving up but don't really want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire!!!

Any experience greatly apreciated!

mrussell

Visit site
It all depends on the degree of healing that has taken place. Our old mare tore a branch of her susp ligament in August of 2000. She has 3 months of inhand walking and small paddock turnout. Scans showed that the healing had been successful. She went on to do XC and a bit of puppy-rides with the Blood Hounds. She was back out within a year.

I think you should speak to the mares vet to find out what sort of prognosis he has for her before you make any decisions.

star

Visit site
it depends on where the injury was and how bad it was and how much it's healed and how long it's been. some horses can return to full work (mine got proximal suspensory desmitis and was back working Medium and jumping for 4yrs before getting something else). some horses can literally only do light hacking and wont cope wth any work in the school.

icemaiden113

Visit site
My old tb mare pulled her suspensory's before i got her at 10yrs old and was operated on and left to rest! After all this we went on to jump up to newcomers, xc hunt and generally hack about! I would definately take the risk, build your horse up with plenty of road work before you atart schooling then you should be okay!

debsflo

Visit site
my 14 yr old warmblood had surgery on both hind suspensory ligaments 2 years ago and has made a good recovery although i have decided not to jump her and am very careful with her. she may be fine but i would not risk it. but she is capable of 2-3 hr hacks lessons and dressage and enjoys it .i would build it up slowly and monitor her progress.i also stable her on rubber matting and give her joint supplement

acolvine

Visit site
My now 29yr old mare completely ruptured her suspensory 5 years ago.
We gave her the benefit of the doubt and with a lot of love, box rest and veterinary care she made a good recovery.
There is a thickening in her leg from scar tissue but aside from that you wouldn't know she had been injured.
Gem is now being ridden 5 times a week both hacking and in the school and loves every minute of it. No signs of her slowing down yet (in fact probably the complete opposite) so if she is happy then so am i.
If the owners and their vet are happy for you to do hacking and gentle schooling then you should both be fine.