Suspensory rehab? Coming back?

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
Before I start I understand each horse is completely different and what works for one may not work for another! And of course there is so many other factors that come to play but…

i have a gelding who 2018 had suspensories scanned and we found desmitis, long story short- different vets recommended different treatments, -the surgery and the other believed surgery would be the worst thing to do and do the the stem cell,laser etc type routes.
decided was not insured to just turn out and let him be a horse and see what happens!
it’s now been 3.5 years in the field, looks sound On a lunge (i know this isn’t exactly a good indicator that he is sound/will stay sound)
But! Has anyone with the same/smiliar issues with suspensories turn away a horse for a long period and rhey have come back to work? (Obviously with rehab) if so did they still need treatment? Or just a good rehab plan?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Front legs or back ones?

If back ones, what type of horse is he and does he have straight or straightish back legs?

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
It is hind.. which I know has less potential than front… I’d say more on the straighter side but not worst (Iv tried to add a photo but failed) he’s an 9 year old Irish sport horse. (No known breeding)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'd say it has to be worth a try with a long slow introduction to work, but that if he has straight back legs there's a fair expectation of a relapse, but perhaps not as bad as if he was a heavier post legged cob. That's all anecdotal, I've no evidence for that, it's just what I think I've seen.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have one that had a hole in his hind suspensory in 2015 but he did have 6 months box rest and prp, he did come sound his 18 now but suspensory problems can cause hock pain and although he looks OK he can look stiff so I am currently looking into medication for the hock.

I would take it slowly and see how he goes and maybe down the line you may have to medicate to keep him comfy.

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
He has been medicated before, so I am aware and more than happy to do so again if needed! I spent 8 months and thousands of ££ rehabbing my other mare last year for her to go lame again now but in another place so I’m toying with my options if she doesn’t come right of which one may stay sound and comfortable in work! X

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would start if at all possible walking him from another horse at first .
If at all possible keep him living out and the ideal would be to work twice a day .
I would shoe him leave him a week or so to get used to that .
Take great care the farrier keeps the toes short and don’t let him go over five weeks in a set .
The first day I would walk ten minutes ,boring I know , walk constantly without a stop if you don’t have another horse I would do it in hand after a week go to fifteen .
And on and on week after week .
If you can’t lead him from another horse just mix leading with riding .
If you have another horse I would lead him for six weeks building up to an hour daily and then take him if finances allow and you have one near to a water tread mill I would do that twice a week for three weeks ( with normal walking work on the other days ) and then send the horse for two weeks rehab with the treadmill people.
Then I would start riding carefully day on back day off the back with short times ridden, building up gradually
I would get a physio to take you through back strengthening pole work but I would do that on grass I would keep the horse out of the school for six months .
Getting the horses back up and working properly if vital.
I probably would not trot for three months except to check for soundness .

Reactions: SEL

Highmileagecob

Visit site
It may be worth asking your farrier to assess his gait and make sure he is placing/weighting his feet properly. if he is unshod, take a look at the wear on the soles to see if he is keeping weight off any part of the affected hoof. Lunging puts a lot of strain on various muscles etc. and you may have to rethink your strategies in the schooling area. Then, as above - slow and gentle, and be prepared for the horse not being competition sound.

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
thank you for the replies!
im just thinking of my options and which may be best for the horses too, im obviously more then happy to just hack and understand will involve lots of walk work (for either of them) the mare who has gone lame again would need w whole work up to find out why with no promise it is a fixable issue! Where as I thought he may be worth a try given we know the issue- it’s just a case if the issue is fixable and will stay sound!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I'd say it has to be worth a try with a long slow introduction to work, but that if he has straight back legs there's a fair expectation of a relapse, but perhaps not as bad as if he was a heavier post legged cob. That's all anecdotal, I've no evidence for that, it's just what I think I've seen.

Equally post legged types are made that way, or at least made worse, in many cases by poor hoof balance and pelvic alignment behind, so could be a symptom of what led to the tendon issues. Fix the posture (not the same as fittening type rehab recommended and carried out by so many vets and so called rehabbers) and fix many more issues than you might think (OP, not you specifically ycbm!). Gillian Tabor is running a free postural challenge this week with plenty of video content, worth a look, but there is no shortage of postural rehab resources appearing across the web and social media.