Suspensory Treatment

VioletDunn

New User
Visit site
Hi everyone,

My horse has just been diagnosed with definitely left, possibly also right hind PSD
There was barely any evidence of the injury on scans but nerve blocks of suspensory showed him to be sound upon gait analysis.
He's having shockwave therapy and box rest with 10 min walks
I'm just wondering on anything else people have done to aid recovery like magnetic boots etc?
Its quite a chronic injury as long story short he could have had this for a couple of years.

Just looking for any advice on anything that seemed to really help your horses?

Thank you!

SEL

Visit site
For mine her suspensory problem was a bit of a mystery. We assumed she'd done it in a soft arena surface but even with rest it was getting worse. Finally tracked down the primary problem to damage within her right fore (which probably was due to the soft surface) and the suspensory is a compensating issue.

Lots and lots of bodywork and trying to get her to work correctly. Injections in her hocks and we will redo her SI soon as well. Arc Equine is the only device that I think works and that might just be owner placebo effect!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Bear in mind that many experts at the cutting edge of biomechanics etc say that (to quote Gillian Higgins from a course I was on with her) "the vast majority of injuries are actually repetitive strain injuries". So I would look to hoof balance and function, and then posture and way of going. I'd want someone who could draw these strands together, and maybe more (teeth, saddle etc of course may be implicated), or draw a team together who can get to the bottom of it, then start making what might be very small changes but possibly in lots of areas, bit like the Sky cycling team approach - marginal gains. I'd probably (depending on advice received) get all of that right before any return to work with the normal ridden "walk for 10 minutes" approach.

conniegirl

Visit site
My lad had just come back from hind PSD (both legs) when I found out I was pregnant. Unfortunatly you are in for the long haul now
My lad had 12 weeks total rest, eggbar shoes all round and shockwave every 2 weeks (6 rounds of it).
After the 12 weeks we started with 10 mins walking inhand for 2 weeks, then it went up to 15 mins for 2 weeks, 20mins for 2 weeks etc until we were at 45 mins twice a day inhand.
After the inhand work there was a very slow introduction back to ridden work with tendon support boots on his hind legs and he had a barn for controlled turnout.
about a year after he first injured himself he was back showing, and now we are nearly 2 years later and he is no longer shod, is turned out in a paddock without boots, was ridden without boots (before I had to stop due to my pregnanacy).
His hind fetlocks still occassionally swell if he has done too much but compression boots and cold hosing along with a couple of quiet days sort that out.
I've not yet tried jumping again, its not really high on my agenda but my vet said that is likely to be where we get problems if they crop up.

Last edited: