Suspicious growth

Visit site
In summer 2010 my horse got a small pea sized lump on his ear, this grew and the vet didn't know what it was. Dr Derek Knottenbelt investigated it through biopsy discovered that it was a sarcoid. Which was removed and then stitched up.

A year ago, another lump came up next to the scar of the sarcoid, it doesn't look like a sarcoid and still has hairs on it. The vet looked and said it felt mobile and fairly soft under the skin, thinking it was an overgrowth of cartilage after the operation on the sarcoid, although he wasn't sure at all. Just said to keep an eye on it.

It stayed fairly consistent in size, flaring up and down occasionally but never exceeding the maximum size, when 'flaring up' he is extremely ear shy and will not be caught to put a headcollar on, even in the stable for the grooms.. only i can manage to get anywhere near his head. I've been away at uni for a week (he's on full livery) and have come back today to see a secondary lump has come up on the same ear on the other side of the scar, not much smaller than the size of a golf ball. There is no visible scratch or puncture wound, it is not hot and seems mobile under the skin.. the workers said it much have come up over night as they haven't seen it before, although they haven't been able to catch him for a few weeks, making me think its been 'growing' for a while.

We are going to keep an eye on it for a few days and then contact the vet, has anyone seen anything like this before?

IMG_3917.jpg
[/URL]
The large lump behind the ear

IMG_3903.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_3916.jpg
[/URL]
The small sarcoid scar at the base of the ear

IMG_3915.jpg
[/URL]
Smaller original lump at the front of the ear

Last edited:

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
My boy had a sarcoid removed at the same place 10 years ago which hasn't come back (fingers crossed so far!) it was lasered off and left open to heal, not stitched. I've no idea what that lump is sorry. Has the vet tried a course of anti biotics to see if that will clear it? Could be a thorn that got in that's infected, I know you said there's no wound but it would only need to be tiny. My dog had a Lump on his throat that sounded similar, which with anti biotics and then vet exploration has now hopefully gone down and started recovering :)

Hetsmum

Visit site
My horse reacts like that to ticks..........and has had one already this year. Is there any sign of a wound?

shergar

Visit site
We had a pony with lump lower rib area,covered in hair and felt moveable ,a vet from a well known equine hospital removed it and threw it in the bin ,it grew back so the vet did a biopsy and still could not tell us what it was . Next vet took a few cells from the lump put them on a slide and took them to the lab,she said it is called a FIBROBLAST INFALTRATE,and they are injected with steroid,which gets rid of them. I have seen this in two different horses. May be you could research this your self.